Author Topic: Best time to go after shaft material  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Iowahedge

Best time to go after shaft material
« on: January 14, 2019, 05:25:53 pm »
So I have amassed a large pile of turkey and snow goose feather. Next on my list is some shafting material. Last fall found a large “grove” of plum trees and saplings. A big elderberry and some smaller saplings of elderberry also. Not to mention countless multiflower rose bushes. What is the best time to gather some “shafts” my tree ID are poor at best but when the fruit was hanging on them I know that’s what they are.  I’ve seen George’s build along of rose shafts and got a fairly knarly “rose” bush in the horse pasture so thinking about trying them first.

Offline DC

Re: Best time to go after shaft material
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:06:23 pm »
I would go in the winter when the leaves are gone. You can see them a whole lot better.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:27:35 pm »
Now! No bugs, no snakes, very few leaves to obstruct your view and relatively comfortable weather. Leave the bark on til they are dry or many may check.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:17:34 am »
I treat harvesting shafts like harvesting bow wood.When the sap is down but have harvested while leaves are on too.Cut plenty long.At least 3 feet.Pre straighten with bark on and wrap tightly in bundles.I like to bundle in groups of 7.I use bale twine for wrapping.That ends up 6 around 1 then.While drying every other day I unwrap and restraighten or take bows out for at least a week.Wrap them perfectly straight.Then let them dry or cure a good 3 to 4 months for sure before debarking and restraightening.Heating if neccessary to straighten.Then make into arrows.
PS....Very slight wiggles or slight bumps are ok to leave.I've sanded them off before with no problems though.Overall bows on shaft are taken completely out though.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:42:37 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ksnow

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:04:26 am »
Second what BowEd said. I like to cut them this time of year, usually while I am out bunny hunting. Bunnies tend to like to hang out where there is good arrow material.

Post pics of the process once you start.

Kyle

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:48:38 am »
I go after most things in winter now, having lost some prime ocean spray to checking/splitting. One in particular makes me cry, it could have been a powerful bow.
https://youtu.be/rNJbwoeKhJo

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 10:40:48 am »
Well I certainly screwed the pooch. I harvested a whole bunch of a completely uncertain shaft material, crazy long, strong stuff! But cut it in summer.but no issues I can see yet.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 11:06:52 am »
Different shoots act differently summer or winter. With viburnum, no matter when it is cut it will check if not handled properly. On the other hand I can cut sourwood shoots any time of year and peel them immediately with no bad results. I've even cut sourwood, peeled the bark and laid it under my wood stove for a week with no checking. I don't think I've ever had a sourwood check.
 Many of these shoots grow in thickets. That's where you'll get your best, straightest shoots. For me, late fall through winter are the best because there are no bugs, no snakes and a more open visibility for spotting potential shoots.
 I collect shoots all year long as I walk the woods. I always carry a pair of hand pruners and a folding saw just for this reason but my best shoots come in the winter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 04:31:00 pm »
Only issue I'm having with self-arrows is the dont stay straight in the summer. I cut the shoots I have in fall, seasoned them under my bed, and today I was remembering the last time I tried this they get bent after shot from the bow. I'm not totally positive what they are for one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 09:00:18 pm »
After I straighten shoot and cane shafts I will temper them by moving them along the flame, rotating as I go. I like to see slight coloration before moving on. Once I get to the other end I lay it flat to cool. You may have to hand straighten again but they usually stay straight, at least for me. Be careful at the far end for steam coming out the end of the shoot. It will burn you.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:37:10 pm »
Oh wow that makes total sense to fire harden the shafts!!! Never would've thought of that!!. I straightened out 122 shafts today was Soo worried they wouldnt stay straight.
Ha now I'm excited! Back to work