Author Topic: What is the proper way to wear a Native American style back quiver?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to get comfortable with a back quiver. They always seems to slide down, and I can't reach the arrows when I go to grab one.  I've made a few quivers from leather,  tried lengthening and shortening the sling,  but after walking around the quiver shifts so that my arrows are just out of reach.

I've settled for a pattern of back quiver that has a side draw and that seems to work for for range use, but I'd really like to use my piece of brain tanned hair on elk hide to make something more traditional.

I'm a skinny guy, and have always had issue with gear and harnesses not staying put,  so maybe its just me?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What is the proper way to wear a Native American style back quiver?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 01:04:26 pm »
Adding a second strap around your upper waist will keep it in place. I have heard they will break in and settle nicely. I have one that is from 1996 and it still goes all over. I've tried every adjustment I can make to no avail. Try a pocket quiver for roving and 3D. They are very nice and simple. No fail and no fighting.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 01:29:01 pm »
What's about a plains style quiver?

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:59:12 pm »

I'm going to do some more looking in to these.  Maybe make one out of fabric and try it out before I commit to leather.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 01:36:49 am »

I'm going to do some more looking in to these.  Maybe make one out of fabric and try it out before I commit to leather.

I have made some out of old legs of  trousers ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 05:42:35 am »
Use you bow, the string when braced the catch the bottom of the quiver to push it up so you can reach the arrows, works great once you get the hang of it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good