Author Topic: Hickory source/supplier  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Nightstalker

Hickory source/supplier
« on: March 03, 2019, 10:52:31 am »
Hi folks, I've been hiding in the shadows a bit and doing some reading here, I gotta say a trove of knowledge. But I have a small issue I need assistance with.  I'm trying to find a source of hickory to make board bows with. Here in good ole Alabama,  nobody that I can find sells, let alone, Carrie's hickory. Ordering online is feels sketchy as due to not being able to see the grain. Felling and splitting staves is out due to not having time to do so.  I've used a red oak board for my first bow. Pulls around 35lb with the tiller a bit off. Hoping to make a 60+lb draw bow. I don't have any of the bowyers bible books. Most places I can find that supplies hickory only will ship 100bf at a minimum,  hickory staves are just too pricey. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Offline peacefullymadewarbows

Re: Hickory source/supplier
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 01:59:32 pm »
There's a guy on etsy and a separate guy on ebay currently selling hickory staves. I know you'd prefer a board but hickory grows real straight and is a very good first try at a stave bow. I know it's still buying from online and not in person but you can buy individually and the wood is chosen with bow making in mind.

Offline EdwardS

Re: Hickory source/supplier
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 05:18:35 pm »
Where in AL are you?  I'm in Brewton.  I'm still searching the suppliers here, found cypress for sale at least.  Still looking for hickory.  Ringing Rocks Archery sells good hickory boards.  Online but they guarantee them and zi can confirm they are good.