Author Topic: sinew on yew?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline jeffp51

sinew on yew?
« on: January 18, 2019, 01:42:12 pm »
I mentioned some time ago that I need to save a yew bow that lifted a pretty serious splinter due to bad tillering on my part.  I have Two questions:

1. Is there any historic use of backing yew with sinew in traditional cultures (either in Europe or by native Americans)?

2. If any of you have done it  on modern traditional bows, is there any different techniques necessary compared to osage, Juniper, etc?

I have tried to patch the splinter with a shorter length of sinew and wrap, but the ends of the sinew strips tend to pull up when I bend the bow

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: sinew on yew?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:46:07 pm »
not the answer you asked for but I found linen thread wrap soaked in cyano is pretty effective

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 03:06:24 pm »
Very common to find NA sinew backed yew  bows.  You'll see lots of examples on here too.   Prepping glue surfaces is pretty standard across all wood types and is usually done in a similar fashion with a bit more emphasis on oil removal with Osage and the like.

There is some argument about whether  sapwood should be removed or not with some saying the shrinking sinew will separate the sap from heart and others having no problem.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 03:29:27 pm »
Here is a sinew backed yew bow with sapwood left on.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63567.0.html
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 05:03:02 am »
Hupa bows are sinewed yew. I know there’s a bunch more but can’t quite remember exactly.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 09:10:41 am »
Wrap the ends also