Author Topic: Shooting machine problems  (Read 6273 times)

Offline DC

Re: Shooting machine problems
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 09:48:45 am »
Del, did you ever use your machine at close range? Like ten feet or so?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:38 am »
Del, did you ever use your machine at close range? Like ten feet or so?
Nope, think I used the mk1 at 10 yards.
You've found the prob already. I've heard of people using looser, softer targets to catch 'em gently.
That's why I use mine outdoors... it's very difficult to catch a flight arrow with out smashing it  >:( :(
You may find the bungy hold down works better than the clamp... it's all trial and error.
BTW... your chrono is a full arrow length from the bow? (at risk of stating the obvious)
Del
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:05:43 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 10:15:32 am »
Yes my chrono is 36" away from the bow. I already made that mistake. Badger sorted me out. Anyway I raised the bow mount 3/4" so it looked just like your picture. The carbon arrow hit 4" higher and broke. It was spined way too heavy though. I think I'll go uptown and buy(grrrr) a 700 spined carbon. I'll have to try lowering the bow mount.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 10:44:03 am »
Whoops,  :-[ maybe there is just too much off-centre shot with that bow for that distance.
I assume you are lining up where it "should" hit, by lining up at full draw not brace? ( or lining up the latch in the full draw position but without the bow drawn) .
I think you are right...
Drop the bow to make it line up with where you want it to hit. BUT allow it to rotate in the clamp to align itself so you aren't twisting the limbs.

Just remember we do this stuff 'cos it's fun right   ;D ::)
Del

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 11:10:44 am »
Just done another sketch to show what I mean about allowing the bow to twist when it is dropped to line up with your target/chrono...I expect you'd worked it out anyway.
It shows the aim line and centre-line being two different things.
It also shows the potential problem of the string hitting the track if the bow is too low.
With the your previous test when the bow was mounted high to give "correct" alignment... the whole machine then needed tilting down to get the aim line right to hit the target square on and not at an angle.....
I think you just gotta mess around until it does what you want  >:D
I think I've been too clever for my own good... can't stop postint (hic)... too much red wine with my dinner!  :-[ ::)
Del
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:14:09 pm by Del the cat »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 12:20:34 pm »
any chance you woud try a wood arrow,, when you go up town,, :) I think the carbon arrows are making it difficult to tune ,,but I am just spit balling cause I never shoot carbons,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 01:09:15 pm »
  I have the same chrono you do and I am happy with it. I must have about 8 in a box that quit working, different brands. I get less bad readings with this one than any of my others.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 01:10:48 pm »
I was just starting to think that way Del. I hadn't thought about the string hitting the rail if it's too low though. Good catch. When I was messing with it yesterday I put in a rail that the string could run along. It helped a bit but the wear on the string was awful.
 Brad- I have a couple of wooden arrows but the wooden ones seemed to break the easiest. They were Hemlock though and it seems a little brittle. I bought a 600 spine carbon. Using the "proper"  ;D spining method it is 50# spine which is about right depending on the tip weight. Unfortunately it is is only 315 grains which is 85 gr light for 10 gpp. It would also make the arrow speed over 200 fps which might aggravate the breaking problem.

I just tried shooting a bamboo arrow by hand from the same distance as the machine. It broke. I'm thinking the distance is the problem now.

The new carbon is a little limp at 15'.
I'm babbling

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 01:14:10 pm »
  I have the same chrono you do and I am happy with it. I must have about 8 in a box that quit working, different brands. I get less bad readings with this one than any of my others.
I have this one and a Chrony. They both work but the Caldwell seems to have a bigger sweet spot. Shooting by hand I have an awful time getting results with the Chrony. Err mesg etc.

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 01:36:01 pm »
Some days I should stay in bed. ;D ;D ;D Took the new arrow out to test it. First shot was great, second shot for some reason I missed target and hit my chipper shredder.
Silver lining part. I could fix it and I found out the tip weighs 80 gr.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 01:38:03 pm »
Something that may be worth a try is to hang a softer lighter target from as couple of long a strings so that it swings back with the arrow to absorb the impact rather than stopping the arrow abruptly.
I used that trick when testing a paper crossbow bolt for a bet, had to stop the bolt without buckling it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPzYazBqa9Q
Del

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 01:46:17 pm »
That would sure help but I've got a roll up garage door there. Can't always get to the ceiling. I was thinking I could open the garage door and move the target further away but then if I missed the target I would punch a hole in the window of the camper/fifth wheel/caravan.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2019, 02:08:57 pm »
That would sure help but I've got a roll up garage door there. Can't always get to the ceiling. I was thinking I could open the garage door and move the target further away but then if I missed the target I would punch a hole in the window of the camper/fifth wheel/caravan.
Magnets! You need magnets!  ;D (-P
and string and stuff and duct tape!
Del

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 02:15:56 pm »
Ok I get the feel of the sitution, if we were closer you would need to have a barbque and invite us over and we could fine tune your set up,,, (SH)

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 02:28:59 pm »
I may break down and mount it permanently out in my range a suitable distance from the target but that would defeat the "indoor" part which is really nice. We do have a 50" hallway in the house but I think I might run into some resistance there. ;D ;D
Actually magnets and string might work except I think it would come down with every arrow. Maybe just screw eyes. Hmmm