Author Topic: Recovery time  (Read 6454 times)

Offline DC

Recovery time
« on: January 19, 2019, 09:45:42 am »
How far does it take for a well sorted out arrow to settle down? Ball park?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Recovery time
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:36:39 am »
I don't understand your question.  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Beba

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:15:12 am »
Viewing paradox as the arrow must bend in order to fly straight, about 16 yds. The variables of shaft material, fletching, tuning and form can affect how how long it takes the arrow to stabilize.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:18:31 pm »
I don't understand your question.  ???
Sorry I guess stabilise is the better word. After bending around the bow how far does the arrow have to travel before it's going straight?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 02:46:20 pm »
Recovery time depends on the material used. Cane arrows seem to recover quicker than hardwood shoots and even commercial wood shafting. Quicker recovery shortens that distance. If you look at slow motion videos of archers paradox you will see the arrow is still trying to recover even as it hits the target.
 Point weight and fletching size and style also play a part. I think folks use a 10 yard mark to bare shaft test arrows so maybe that is a simple answer to your question.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 03:59:58 pm »
Kinda makes you wonder how bare shafting works (I know it does) with the arrow switching sides most of the way to the target.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 04:12:03 pm »
That's the archer's paradox.   ;)

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 11:19:52 pm »
It depends...

See this, distance is about ten meters:

https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI-jGc5PWRk

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 01:51:53 am »
An interesting test is to clamp a shaft lightly at the centre between two small blocks of wood in a vice.
If you then pull both ends back a couple of inches with your finger tips and release simultaneously you can see how long the vibration lasts.
If you want you can time it and convert that to distance travelled.
For a flight arrow you'd ideally want a material that was well damped and stopped vibrating quickly. But the other side of the coin is that if it was well damped it might not flex quick enough when loosed and would thus act as if it was too stiff.
Seem like almost everything in this game is full of contradictions and compromises... which is why we like it ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 09:01:11 am »
It depends...

See this, distance is about ten meters:

https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI-jGc5PWRk
Tuomo, have you noticed if adding fletching dampens the flight? Improves the recovery time?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 03:30:48 pm »
I bare shaft starting at 5 yards, not sure what it would look like in slow motion but when tuned correct my arrows are straight at the point. I would think if tuned right the are straight as soon as they completely clear the bow, 16 yards seem like a bunch to me, if my arrows are not straight by then I am going to see it, all I want to see is nock. JMO. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 05:51:40 pm »

But the other side of the coin is that if it was well damped it might not flex quick enough when loosed and would thus act as if it was too stiff.

Del

Hmm,  only if the dampening was achieved by thickness and mass.  I don't see how removing thickness or mass in a flight arrow could increase stiffness.

dampening and reducing mass together might have potential

Offline Scyth

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 10:15:33 pm »
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 09:13:57 am »
Thanks Scyth. Up until I posted this I had it totally wrong. I thought that a limp arrow was bending away from the bow too much. That left a few questions unanswered. Now that I see this progression from stiff to limp I can see that it's the opposite. It's the first bend, the one apparently caused by the string rolling off your fingers. that seems to be the culprit. The more the arrow bends, the more it smacks into the bow. This kicks the back of the arrow to the left and the rest is history. It leaves me wondering how stiff arrows behave and why they kick right. It's strange that it's stiff arrows that make the noise. I'll try and read the PDF you posted but my mind glazes over when I see math symbols.

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 10:10:20 am »
It leaves me wondering how stiff arrows behave and why they kick right.

Here, stiff arrows:
https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBq0Wr6H7uU
https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLJVsFNtYDc
https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxVntGubV78
https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et71Xk_vSvs