Author Topic: Recovery time  (Read 6453 times)

Offline DC

Re: Recovery time
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:08 pm »
Thanks Tuomo. It's strange, I can't really see the difference. The fletching still smacks the bow so why does it hit nock right rather than nock left?

Offline ohma2

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 07:58:05 am »
If your not using your shooting machine and shooting with fingers a bad release can make an otherwise correctly spined arrow do some crazy moves.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 09:52:12 am »
You wouldn't happen to have a link to something that tells me what a "bad release" is? Or a "good release" for that matter?

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:25 pm »
Don

you can look through all the videos Tuomo has uploaded by clicking on his youtube channel

Puujousi TIR-Bow

just below the title/views

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 06:53:36 pm »
I've had it bookmarked since he first started posting ;D ;D but never thought of it when I started this thread. getting old sucks ;D ;D

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 08:48:48 am »
dont have a video of good and bad releases- but maybe the diagram will help a bit.
remember this only really works of your spine is right- but i dont know how one ensures the spine is correct , if one is making release errors- it can be quite a conundrum- chicken and egg scenario.

i have watched everything i can on bare shafting, and modified how i bare shaft to suit me- i think i get reasonably consistent results nowadays- but one can still be tested, and fraught with frustration some days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KGWC0PB6s
check out this video, IMHO its the very best "paradox" video i have ever seen.
 With correct spine and correct string nock position- the fletch should be clearing the riser, or possibly very very lightly , the bottom hen fletch could be  just kissing the shelf.

watch the video at 0.40 and again at 1.34.
one can see that the shaft is not affected at all by any contact a fletch may have with the riser.
one can see how important string nock height is. As the front of the arrow, upon release, contacts the shelf- but the rear of the arrow, is actually elevated from the shelf, due to the "higher than square" nock position.
so  the elevated nock position  and the correct spine, work in unison to eliminate any fletch contact with the riser.
now this video should look no different with a self bow( no cut in shelf) as the correct arrow spines would be softer yet. Or conversely with a cut past center bow- as those spines would be suitably stiffer.
if the fletch is smacking the riser- then i would venture to say that the spine is not quite right.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:19:24 am by TSA »

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 10:27:55 am »
Thanks Wayne. I've watched that video many many times. I wish he had started with an arrow that was way to stiff and worked his way through using the same camera position for every shot. I was under the impression that it was just "how much" the arrow bent that determined if it was right for the bow. But that didn't explain everything. Then I realised that time, or, the frequency of the arrow was also a big part of it. The arrow has to bend enough to clear the handle but it has to be bent at the right time. You have a small window of time where the arrow is bent enough and in the right direction to clear the bow. I've still got way more figuring to do, there is so much to see in those videos. At 5.16 it looks like there is a wave of motion that travels down the length of the arrow. He says it's the right spine but it looks like the arrow hits the bow a couple of times. It's way different than 0.40