Author Topic: Cheap targets?  (Read 9490 times)

Offline leif

Cheap targets?
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:16:07 am »
I want a target to test bows on before finishing them. I'll shoot the target from close range (indoors 2-3m). I want to stop arrows with no bounce back . I'm thinking about filling a 30x30x30cm wooden box with dirt, shooting side would have fabric or plastic bags to keep the dirt in .

Is dirt or sand a good material to stop arrows?
how much thickness should it have ?
do you have to suggest a better filler material?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Cheap targets?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 09:27:22 am »
I wouldn't use dirt.  It will be heavy and eventually leak out.  There are other options for DIY targets.  You can use plastic wrap from skids, carpet, cardboard, rags, etc.  Do a search on YouTube.  I'm sure there are some videos on making targets.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 10:18:46 am »
Sand piles work great, but bags or boxes of sand will leak out quickly. The cheapest I've seen was a burlap bag stuffed tightly with hundreds and hundreds of plastic bags, such as garbage bags, grocery bags and the like. Old clothing will work for a filler as well, but be sure there are no snaps, buttons or zippers still on them. Just fabric or denim.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline leif

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 08:27:28 am »
hmm so dirt is not a good option.
My first approach was to search for plastic pallet wrapping. I asked for it at a local supermarket but they said they send it back for recycling... :( Maybe I'll ask more supermarkets.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 08:45:57 am »
If you are not shooting broadheads a feed sack filled with plastic grocery bags, or thin sheet plastic will stop target arrows and they are easy to pull out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 09:22:31 am »
I just went through some challenges with this. https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,64928.0.html

The target I was using was a 1/2" plywood bow filled with plastic bags and covered with recycled target face material(heavy duty plastic tarp stuff) I found that when I was shooting fron 2-3 yards I was breaking arrows. I changed to a burlap sack filled with rags and hung from the ceiling. It's free to swing and rotate. No more broken arrows.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 11:00:19 am »
A 6'x 6'  piece of carpet hung loose on a frame may work, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 12:53:45 pm »
The Tyvek wrapping that bunks of lumber come into lumber yards wrapped with would fill a target bag fast.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 05:36:20 am »
Instead of doing all the running around gathering materials for a cheap target, just buy a cheap bag target. You can get them for under $50.00 at most places on sale. Time and gas is money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 07:49:11 am »
This may be specific to my area of the country, but I doubt it . . . .

"Farm suppy" stores usually have small utility trailers for sale. Shipments by suppliers to these stores include styrafoam blocks in the shipments. Stores use the blocks to support tongue of trailers in the outdoor display area. These stores accumulate far more of 'em than they can use. They are free to those who can make use of 'em.
Blocks are approx 12 x 12 x 24" in size.

I stack couple/three with stakes through them and into ground. There's about a dozen of these target stations throughout my lil course behind our property.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Woodely

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 03:09:03 pm »
I bought a 2x4 card board box from Homedepot and filled it with more cardboard and filled in the last couple inches with that spray foam.  When the target gets beat up you simply use more spray.  Cost me about $15.  Next one I build will be only 16" x 16" with steel spikes in the back so I can stick it in the ground to mimic small game.  Its easier to move it around the grass field,, moving the targets is a pain they weigh over 100 pounds and are regulation size.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:17:39 pm by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."