Author Topic: Sharpening and adjusting scissors  (Read 2294 times)

Offline DC

Sharpening and adjusting scissors
« on: January 22, 2019, 01:00:01 pm »
I just Googled scissor sharpening and the first one that popped up was the old cut some sandpaper trick. Is this a good way to sharpen scissors? Sure doesn't seem like it to me. Also most decent scissors I've seen have a slight bend in the blade(s) to keep the blades rubbing against each other. Is there a slick way to adjust that other than the screw/rivet? I'm thinking of a situation where the blade may have gotten slightly bent from someone over stressing it. I'm trying to make a handle with the brain tan that Ed sent me and my scissors just won't cut it.(Heh,Heh, see what I did there?) Any clues about making scissors work better will be welcomed :)

Offline Aaron H

Re: Sharpening and adjusting scissors
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 01:59:31 pm »
I have no answer to your question, but fwiw, Rotary cutters work wonderfully for cutting leather

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:59:56 pm »
Ya Brain tan is one of the toughest leathers to cut, at least cut straight, no idea on sharping scissors but I will say I have several pairs that the guys around the shop have used to cut sand paper and they won't cut nothing anymore. Miss Joanie just a couple of weeks ago bought me a nice , pretty pricey pair and they cut brain tan like butter, they are in a sheath and I plan on keeping them there and out of sight of everyone but me. They do have a slight curve in the middle when you look down on them, I think that is to keep good pressure on the front 3rd of the blade. I also have one of the rotary cutters Aaron mentioned and it work great also.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:12:47 pm »
DC, one of those rotary cutters works well on thin leather. They are pretty cheap at Wal Mart.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 05:19:12 pm »
Pappy, Boy Scouts gonna get your scissors :o ;D ;D Bob

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 11:38:57 pm »
Take 'em to Joann's Fabrics, or a dog show where there maybe a vendor sharpening scissors -dog people like sharp scissors, so do their dogs!  The rotary cutters are good, too, that is what the pros use!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 03:03:57 pm »
DC, Bill one of my friends brought me a Scissor sharpener she got at the fabric store, she bought her a new one and gave the old one to me, I will try and get a picture and name, you just slide both cutting edges in and work a little push handle, tried it on 4 old pairs and worked like a champ. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 03:40:25 pm »
I'd appreciate that :D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 05:25:52 am »
Here it is DC. Works great on regular and small scissors. I did sharpen a big pair I have yesterday by hand, just took my time with a stone to start and then with a fine steel, don't know why I hadn't done it before, it cut like butter.I think you just need to be careful to keep the angle and not take off to much. Anyway hope this helps, nothing worse than dull scissors, knives or tools of any kind for that matter.  :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 08:38:26 am »

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 08:48:14 am »
Those scissor sharpeners are great! But with most preset sharpeners they just hit the very edge of the blade.  I sharpen all of mine by hand. If you can take them apart, thats the best way.  Just find the bevel angle and keep your stroke smooth and even. Make sure the inside edge is perfectly flat just like a draw knife. Be sure there is no burr on that side.  I use a Dimond stone and 2 different grits of Dimond steels then a smooth butchers steel.  Finish it off with a leather strop. When i'm done I can slice right through 1/4 inch holster leather like butter.  The will cut brain tan like its not even there.  The key is,  touching them up right when you notice them starting to dull. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 01:59:30 pm »
That is what I did to my big pain Patrick, and yes they work great. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good