Author Topic: Wenge as a belly lam?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Wenge as a belly lam?
« on: January 22, 2019, 06:21:34 pm »
Yes? No? Experiences? Suggestions? Cautions? Allergic reactions? (I'm asking the former cause I had a major reaction to Lacewood  :NN)

All thoughts are welcome.  :)

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

Re: Wenge as a belly lam?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 06:34:16 pm »
There was a Wenge bow posted on here recently. Also an article back in the day in the mag called "The Wonderful World of Wenge".

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:35:31 pm »
  I know there have been some successful bows made using wenge but I think it is very difficult and the majority I have done myself and heard of blew up during the build. Not a very elastic wood.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 04:35:09 am »
What Steve said. It splinters really easily and will probably explode before you get any chrysals. Can be done but tiller has to be spot on. May be a good idea to back it with ash or maple instead of bamboo. (I used boo and it exploded on me, was one of the first laminated bows I made so my tiller skills where pretty awfull ;D)

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 04:43:17 am »
I’ll comment on the allergies.
I haven’t worked with it myself but one of my friends is highly allergic to it, if you reacted to some other woods proceeded with caution.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:20:47 am »
Okay guys, thanks. I picked up a 2x2x36" piece that I was able to get two billets out of. It had very straight grain and was on sale so I thought, "why not?"

I'm going to use it as the belly on a tri-lam, so I'm hoping it'll be thin enough to make the stress on it minimal. I'll give it a whirl and report back.

Thanks again.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 06:14:55 am »
Id save it for tips and grips.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 06:30:54 am »
I've made one or two. If I remember right they turned out okay. For the price  not worth it in my opinion. if I wanted to make a backed board bow  I'd reach for a piece of white oak or maple or anything else before I grabbed a piece of wenge now