Author Topic: blades, knives and a display holder  (Read 6412 times)

Offline 1442

blades, knives and a display holder
« on: January 23, 2019, 06:20:33 am »
I finally got a new puter and Spectrum came out and redid all the connections on  the cable wire.
My puter and internet is so fast now I'm considering wearing a helmet and seatbelt while on line until I get used to it.

Here's a pile of blades I've made and been waiting to haft them onto handles, and a few that got theire handles already, and a antler holder that hangs on the wall to display a knife or other stuff.
I've also made a few antler stands that sit on a flat surface to display knives , but I didn't have room to spread them out and get a pic yet.

Offline 1442

Re: blades, knives and a display holder
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 06:23:54 am »
her's the holder tied together with sinew, some deer tracks on the antler burrs of some and the wall hanger.
I forgot to mention the bone handles are all deer leg bones

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 10:12:39 am »
Very nice work!  I like the hoof marks!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 04:21:56 pm »
That's a whole lot of sweet blades waiting for some really nice handles 1442. Everything looks great.
Bjrogg
PS my old phone is getting pretty slow.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:26:58 pm »
Those blades all look great.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 05:12:33 pm »
awesome work.

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 08:13:23 pm »
Very nice. You need some cholla,lol

Offline 1442

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 11:49:18 pm »
Thanks y'all
JEB, Id sure like to try some Cholla for handles. Still have a few sets of antlers and a bunch of leg bones to use.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 12:10:38 am »
  Wow! What a beautiful bunch of work 1442...
                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline RickB

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 05:42:14 pm »
Great job on all those blades - thanks for sharing the photos.

Offline 1442

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 10:53:57 pm »
Thanks
I took the knives, antler stands, some points, blades hooks and this necklace display to a gun show this past weekend where I was invited to set up on a table for free and try to sell them to raise money to go to the silver river knap in in Florida.
I didn't work out too well though. I didn't sell enough to get out of town good so I may have to resort to the ol cardboard sign on the street corner or something to get to Florida.
Nobody even seemed interested in a necklace at all and that's what I thought would sell the best. Also being it was a gun show people looking at guns had them pointed at me from every direction the whole time and I did not like that.

Here's the necklace display. It's built like a hide stretched in a frame with a large deer antler on each end to hold it up verticle
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:58:25 pm by 1442 »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 10:32:52 am »
Very Nice display 1442. Kinda interesting how you attached points to necklaces. You are a talented knapper. People just have no idea what it takes to make that stuff. They always ask me how do you do that you grind it? Or you melt it.
I guess it's true. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Or show. Steel one probably would sell.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:59:14 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 11:17:30 am »
Very nice looking display.  I know a guy that set up at a traditional archery shoot and couldn't give his necklaces away for $15.00 and this guy is a lights out knapper.  Yet I went to Flintridge and sold almost every stone knife I brought and I am a so so knapper. It is a crap shoot for sure.

Folks don't have a clue on how much work there is to making this stuff.

Offline 1442

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 05:35:09 pm »
thanks for the kind words
It was an interesting experience. Some woman said EWWW! I don't like them teeth (leg bones), they creep me out.
I also had to listen about how people and dinosaurs where here at the same time and that wood don't take long to petrify because steel hammers have been found embedded in it and interesting stuff like that.

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 07:04:36 pm »
Not sure where you are at but if close to Ohio, give the fall Flintridge knapin some thought. Rather inexpensive weekend, $20.00 camping and set up fee, more rock  to buy than you can haul home and some great flint knappers sitting around. And on Saturday you will sell a lot of stuff.