Author Topic: three legged point  (Read 3327 times)

Offline 1442

three legged point
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:26:59 pm »
I been wanting to make an Andice style point for a while but every time I've tried the rock turned out to tough for me to notch.
Tonight I fixed that by picking a softer rock.
It got a little narrower than I wanted and I struggled with the notches some but I got lucky again and it's still in one piece.
 :)

Offline JEB

Re: three legged point
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 05:05:04 am »
OUTSTANDING WORK. Are you notching using pressure or punch notching?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 05:10:00 am »
Very nice! hard to see where you struggled.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 06:15:46 am »
Thankyou!
JEB, I punched these notches with a copper nail flattened on the end like a screw driver and a small piece of maple ,like 1" X 1" X about 7" long to hit the nail with. I used a leather hand pad on top of a leather leg pad on my leg to support the piece and would let the ears hand off the edge of the hand pad to reduce bending forces on the ears as the notches got deeper.
I used to pressure notch with a sharp steel nail flaker and I could control the notch better that way but it put a lot of stress on my arms and wrists due to weird angles needed to be able to see what I was doing and come from underneath to seat the flaker and apply enough force without letting the flaker rotate up into the notch.

Mullet It was real iffy of the for the first half of the notches until I finally got some good C-flakes to pop off and remove more mass ahead of me. From there it went pretty good up to where they are now and one side got steep angles and stalled.

It was really fun to do though and I enjoyed it so much, I can't wait to attempt another one.

I'll get a pic of the punch and hardwood wacker tonight. I never used a wacker this small before but it seemed to be the perfect size to swing fast and remove flakes without stressing the piece too much

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 07:19:27 am »
Can you post a photo of the notchers and other things used. Going to try punch notching on my thicker points.

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:41:01 pm »
here is the tool kit used to make that point.
the punch is a flattened copper nail, and the wacker is  a  piece of maple with size and weight wrote on it.
thick leather leg pad with a smaller pad on that to rest the point on and let the ears overhang the edge some.
One pic shows how I hold the point down with two fingers and how I hold the punch.
The punch can be hit pretty hard with this size wacker and it will pop off a flake so fast the preform don't have time to break before the flake is done doing whatever its gonna do.
Keep burs filed off the punch and keep the corners file nice and square to.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 05:38:59 am »
Another beautiful point 1442. Like Eddie said, hard to see where you struggled. Even found some pretty colors in there.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 01:12:57 pm »
Thanks for the great photos and explanation.

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 05:13:52 pm »
DADGUM!!!!!
That’s Sweet 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 07:12:31 pm »
Nice work.

Offline 1442

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 10:18:51 pm »
Thanks y'all

Offline Stoner

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 04:55:29 am »
Nice, I'll have to try a punch like that. Thanks for the info. John