Author Topic: Bows for young men and women  (Read 3106 times)

Offline bassman

Bows for young men and women
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:19:40 am »
These bows range from 20 to 35lb.  draw weight, and will draw from 20 to 25 inches.They are made from White Oak,Hickory,Hickory backed Osage,and American Hornbeam.My grand son,s , and their boy scout ,and cub scout friends really like shooting them. They also like the wraps,and crazy paint jobs on them.Nice to get them exposed to archery at an early age.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bows for young men and women
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 10:26:11 am »
Well done!  :OK That's the way to pass it on.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 10:35:32 am »
Very nice :OK  I'm sure those kids will remember shooting those bows for the rest their lives

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 10:53:15 am »
Dang! You must be a busy man in that bow shop. Nice bows and even better gesture for the boys.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 11:52:37 am »
Very nice Bassman.  Very worthy use of those bows.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 12:58:53 pm »
Thanks Pat B. Yes Bayou they do remember.Pearl, I have made 40 or 50 of these over the past 10 years.I make them from splits, and short pieces. Bjrogg it makes me feel good to watch those boys ,and girls shoot them.Some are grown adults now ,and still shooting . Some like Primitive, some like trad,and a few are shooting compounds.Some have even done research papers on our Native Americans.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 02:05:13 pm »
Way to go Bob. I'm sure the kids enjoy shooting your bows. Sometimes a simple introduction plants the seed for a lifetime.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 02:35:50 pm »
Thanks Steve.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:56:56 pm »
I don't remember any of my instructors from the late '40s, early 50's, but I am sure glad they were there!  I didn't get into serious shooting until a bit later, but it stayed in the back of my mind and crept out when I started teaching Hunter Safety Education, and the bug bit harder to get my attention!  I did shoot a couple of postal matches in college, pre compound days!  Good job, good cause, and obviously good kids!!  Keep up the good work!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline simk

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 12:31:23 am »
And you even find the time to paint with passion! Great work!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 05:33:14 am »
I started in 6th grade with Bob Loudin who was a math teacher and taught us during what they called activity period way back then in the 70’s. We Learned to trap, hunt, and shoot archery under his tutelage and I’ve pursued those interests with passion ever since as have many of my classmates. Good on ya bassman!

Offline Will B

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 05:39:11 am »
You make some nice looking and smooth shooting bows Bob. Keep up the good work buddy!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 06:31:08 am »
Very nice bunch of bows, good for you also for passing it on to the scouts and kids. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 07:32:18 am »
It is, no doubt, a wonderful gesture on your part to take the time and make the effort to create these weapons for the enjoyment of the young'uns.
But I'm guessing that it's the joy/satisfaction enjoyed by yourself as you watch then being used that is the biggest reward.

GOOD ON YA!    :OK
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bassman

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 12:31:54 pm »
Knoll, your right, and they are our future.Nothing like youngsters smiling ,and having fun, and gets them out doors.