Author Topic: Reusing sinew laziness  (Read 2624 times)

Offline DuBois

Reusing sinew laziness
« on: January 25, 2019, 09:43:11 am »
So I will be removing sinew from a failed bow and wondering if I could just split away the wood from under the sinew, clean up the sinew where it will meet the new bow wood, soften it up with some warm steam and slather it with glue.
I could then wrap it onto new wood that has ben pulled into reflex.

Probably a mess... but I will most likely do it just to se if it can be done and actually hold up  >:D

Offline PatM

Re: Reusing sinew laziness
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:05:12 am »
  Simon did this with a short Osage bow but he glued it back to the same bow, not a different one.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 10:36:52 am »
I think your bow is fine. Don't remove the sinew

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 10:56:24 am »
In this video he uses sinew "plates" which is basically what you would have if you removed the sinew in one piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_sb2Me3hdo
It's interesting to speculate that putting on "pre shrunk" sinew "plates" may stop the cracking/lifting the edges problem.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 12:22:15 pm »
I'm kinda with Chuck here. Maybe you can sand down where the sinew released and resinew those areas.
 Pictures would really help diagnose and come up with a remedy. Lots of guessing going on and without actually seeing the problem I think all we're doing is guessing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 01:21:55 pm »
DuBois,  if you can text me the pictures I'll post them for you.

Did you round the corners of the limbs or did the have sharp edges?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 01:33:18 pm »
I'm kinda with Chuck here. Maybe you can sand down where the sinew released and resinew those areas.
 Pictures would really help diagnose and come up with a remedy. Lots of guessing going on and without actually seeing the problem I think all we're doing is guessing.

I think he's been pretty clear that it's actual wood separation, not sinew detaching.  Check the other thread.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 01:38:25 pm »
I reused the sinew from the back of a short yew bow that broke at the narrowed handle. I think I peeled the sinew off the back of each half in sheets and soaked it in warm water to separate it. I then used some of it on another bow and kept the longer pieces for arrow wraps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 01:47:38 pm »
That's the hard way.  He wants to glue it down like a strip of rawhide.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 02:43:59 pm »
On the way Clint.
Thanks man!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 09:00:15 am »
That is an interesting video Chuck.
He has a long process of soaking and different glues and I'm not really sure of what he's doing in all of it, but the idea of using the sinew in the way he processes it lays it down is something I may try to incorporate into my work somewhat.

OO-Not rounded on back. rectangular cross section.