Author Topic: Best day ever  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Best day ever
« on: January 25, 2019, 05:29:50 pm »
I was going through some pics on my phone and dug up these.  Taken a couple of years ago in Arizona.

I had taken my little girl to the rifle range.  A couple of good ole boys killed a rattle snake so we reteieved it.  Then about 5 mins later these boys came back with a second one.   My daughter exclaimed "this is the best day ever!"
I showed her how to skin them and I still have the skins set aside for something special.

Never in my life had I ever imagined the excitement a little girl could have over dismembered rattle snakes.

ETA: that look on her face is pure excitement,  even though it comes across looking like she's grossed out.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline sleek

Re: Best day ever
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 06:04:05 pm »
That is awesome! Your little girl seems like the type i hope my son meets oneday...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:21:41 am »
How do we do an informal long distance primative Skype betrothal?  I'm guessing smudge sticks and an exchange of feathers via Fedex?  ;D
-Homer Simpson-

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:47:29 am »
She looks like a sweet heart dieselcheese. I wish more kids could be introduced to proper ways to harvest and process animals. It can be done in a respectful way and brings us closer to nature and a understanding of where our food came from. It's a valuable lesson that many don't know.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 10:28:02 pm »
Great pics of a very aware little lady!   Hope she continues to expand her experiences and knowledge of the food chain! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 07:00:24 pm »
That's adorable.  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 07:38:57 pm »
Thats awesome! I think the best way to pass it on is to get their hands dirty.

As for me,  I pick them up with a stick and freeze them till I can take them to a buddy of mine to skin them.  Ive tried,  but just can't do it. Lol

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 09:13:56 pm »
I dug up another pic from about the same time frame as the snakes.  I was in my mom's yard and a pigeon pooped all doen my back.  So I grabbed a pellet gun and shot it.  Well my adventurous  little girl wanted to disect it before i fed it to the cat.

Here she is with its little heart on the cusp of learning how the chambers and valves of the heart function.  Grandma made her wear gloves...rats with wings philosophy.

-Homer Simpson-

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 05:36:54 am »
I think it's funny how different were all wired. Your little girl is like me. None of that getting my hands dirty and opening up a critter ever bothered me. Always loved dissecting the critters in science class. I always found it interesting. He's gotten better, but my brother would pass out at the sight of blood. Sometimes I think I should have been a surgeon. Or maybe a mortician.lol. Anyway it warms my heart to she your little girls curiosity.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 10:16:58 am »
My 7yo grandson helped his gramma skin a bob cat couple of weeks ago. He made some faces but stuck with it. asked lots of questions.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 05:43:28 pm »
Great pics. I have an 8yr old grandaughter that lives with us ( Skyler) and she is the same way. We live in the country and she has a hard time wearing shoes outside. Its just her nature I guess.I've told her a time or two to put her shoes on or she's gonna hurt herself and she tells me " I'm a country girl papa, I'm tough".  She has watched me skin snakes, deer, squirrels etc... and is always right there when I do it. She thinks its cool.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God