Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114084 times)

Offline Andrea S

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 03:52:11 pm »
Hello!

My name is Andrea, and I am originally from the southwest suburbs of Chicago, IL. I am now attending college in Montana and loving every minute of it. I've loved archery ever since about the 5th grade. I was quite into the "Redwall" series by Brian Jacques, so swords and bows and the like were all fresh in my imagination. One day, I was locked out of my house (forgot my house key) and had a while before my parents got home, so I decided to try and make a bow. I found a skinny little sapling growing off the base of a tree by the shed in the back and cut it down with an old steak knife that was my whittling/project knife I kept in the backward. I cut some nocks very roughly and found an old nylon string to tie to each end of the sapling, found a reasonably straight stick and carved a nock into it, and discovered with great delight that my silly little bow actually launched the stick partway across the yard! With the exhilaration of seeing that first "arrow" fly, I was hooked. So my bow-building operation expanded that summer (and some following summers) to cutting down black willow of a diameter close to what I wanted my bow to be. I would strip off the bark, whittle down the thick end (using a handy lockback pocket knife my father gave to me, which I still have and use) to match the skinny end so they bent pretty similarly, glue a spiral wrapping of leather around the handle, and call it a bow! I would make single-fletch arrows by splitting dowel rods or straight sticks at one end, smashing the quill of a goose feather flat, wedging it in, and wrapping the shaft on either side of the feather. The points were all just whittled sharp.

I now hear that willow makes a terrible bow. In fact, I'm sure the bows I made drew between 5 and 10 pounds, took a fair amount of set, and had a shamefully lopsided tiller. But I sure do miss the joy of the time and care spent making them. Unfortunately, I had a falling-out with my best friend at the time, and when she decided she didn't want me as a friend anymore, she took all my archery tackle with her. Which is extremely depressing, since I was the only one who ever put any sincere effort into building all the bows, arrows, staffs, shields, and wooden swords that went into our pretend games (which were quite fun when we got all of the little neighbor kids to join as the enemy army).

Despite all the silliness, the love of archery was planted in me permanently. I took a four-year break from it, but now that I'm in college and I have all this spare time, I just can't stay away any longer. Right now I'm building a Plains-style osage shortbow, learning how to twist flemish, learning how to embroider with quills, and making arrowheads with a dremel tool from cow bone. This is pretty much the coolest hobby, ever.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 04:17:47 pm »
Yup addicted, better seek help from Dr. Keenan on the "Bowaholics" thread ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Bowjoe

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 04:42:12 am »
Hello
I'm Joel Hug and I live in Switzerland. That means that my english isn't very good,
and when you find the mistakes you can keep them ;D .
I'm interested in primitive archery now for two years, and during this time I've built two flatbows.
My aim is, one day, to build an english longbow of yew.
I've already been often here and looked around, and because it's a great site I decided to register.

joel

Offline DanaM

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2008, 07:52:45 am »
Glad you decided to join us Joe, and your English is better than most of the rednecks
on here including mine ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008, 03:42:55 pm »
Glad to know Ya....now git ready fer a Culture Shock....eh!!! >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2008, 06:13:31 pm »
Hello!

My name is Andrea, and I am originally from the southwest suburbs of Chicago, IL. I am now attending college in Montana and loving every minute of it. I've loved archery ever since about the 5th grade. I was quite into the "Redwall" series by Brian Jacques, so swords and bows and the like were all fresh in my imagination. One day, I was locked out of my house (forgot my house key) and had a while before my parents got home, so I decided to try and make a bow. I found a skinny little sapling growing off the base of a tree by the shed in the back and cut it down with an old steak knife that was my whittling/project knife I kept in the backward. I cut some nocks very roughly and found an old nylon string to tie to each end of the sapling, found a reasonably straight stick and carved a nock into it, and discovered with great delight that my silly little bow actually launched the stick partway across the yard! With the exhilaration of seeing that first "arrow" fly, I was hooked. So my bow-building operation expanded that summer (and some following summers) to cutting down black willow of a diameter close to what I wanted my bow to be. I would strip off the bark, whittle down the thick end (using a handy lockback pocket knife my father gave to me, which I still have and use) to match the skinny end so they bent pretty similarly, glue a spiral wrapping of leather around the handle, and call it a bow! I would make single-fletch arrows by splitting dowel rods or straight sticks at one end, smashing the quill of a goose feather flat, wedging it in, and wrapping the shaft on either side of the feather. The points were all just whittled sharp.

I now hear that willow makes a terrible bow. In fact, I'm sure the bows I made drew between 5 and 10 pounds, took a fair amount of set, and had a shamefully lopsided tiller. But I sure do miss the joy of the time and care spent making them. Unfortunately, I had a falling-out with my best friend at the time, and when she decided she didn't want me as a friend anymore, she took all my archery tackle with her. Which is extremely depressing, since I was the only one who ever put any sincere effort into building all the bows, arrows, staffs, shields, and wooden swords that went into our pretend games (which were quite fun when we got all of the little neighbor kids to join as the enemy army).

Despite all the silliness, the love of archery was planted in me permanently. I took a four-year break from it, but now that I'm in college and I have all this spare time, I just can't stay away any longer. Right now I'm building a Plains-style osage shortbow, learning how to twist flemish, learning how to embroider with quills, and making arrowheads with a dremel tool from cow bone. This is pretty much the coolest hobby, ever.

andrea my mom is from the SW suburbs of chicago

but she is such a city girl
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Dane

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2008, 01:03:57 pm »
Okay, Dana, I put my city and state in the sig line.

It is great to see this new crop of bowyers and archers. Including a few near me in the New England area. I've been registered since 2006, so I'm an old guy, lol.

Just a quick intro for you new folks, I'm the guy building Roman arrow firing torsion artillary - just another form of primitive archery (in this case about 3rd century BC), but not something you would go hunting with (or fire at 3D targets, as 1,000 pounds of pull and armor piercing iron bolt heads will pretty much obliterate foam deer). Got a new machine in the works, and a built one I just need to cast bronze parts for.  All this will get posted eventually.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

loosenock

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2008, 08:39:29 pm »
My name is Joe, I am 60 years old.  I started archery around 1959 when I was living with my grandfather in southern Illinois.  Hunting, fishing and trapping was pretty much our way of life and sustenance.  I am a Vietnam Vet serving in the USN from 1965-1969.   I having been working for a local municipal utility for the last 32 years, could have retired 5 years ago but still there.  I am an amateur bladesmith of 35 years making knives the old way of forge, anvil and hammer.  Recently finished my 1st bow.  Hobbies are archery, bladesmithing, rendezvousing and fly fishing.  I do more reading than posting.

Joe

Offline catfishon

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2008, 08:52:15 pm »
hi, i'm john french, 44 years old and i live in seymour indiana. this is my second year shooting traditional and i can't get enough of it. i also enjoy making knives , bows, arrows, but most of all i enjoy meeting and sharing time with others who love this sport as much as i do.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2008, 09:11:42 pm »
Dane thanks for posting and I'm glad yer back, still waiting to see what ya do with the Yooper Maple I sent ya ;D

Loosenock I'm a fellow muncipal employee, sewage plant here, I work with a vietnam vet and I for one appreciate
what you guys did, you have my respect and admoration.

Catfishon thanks for joining up and posting, your knives are sweet and the bow you posted is pretty darn nice :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Canerod

• High Country Guide Service
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2008, 09:21:57 pm »
OK, here goes. My name is Kevin Little, I'm married with two little girls, ages 4&5. I'm originally from West-by-God-Virginia, but I married a Mainiac, so here we are. I'm a Registered Maine Guide and bamboo flyrod maker. I've been guiding since college('83) and shooting bows for almost as long. After years of 3D shooting and a couple of runs to the IBO Worlds, I found myself burning out on gadgets. I put away the modern equipment and bought a longbow. It's been all downhill from there  ;)  being a person who likes to make their own gear, it was natural for me to want to make a bow, but I fought it for several years. I finally started on board bows two days ago and proceeded to blow up #1 within 4 hrs. #2 is showing promise, since I backed it, but it's got a ways to go before it's a bow. I need to get some more tools, but I think I'm here to stay.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

donrhudy

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 11:32:43 pm »
Dana, I'm responding to your request to say something about myself, and also to thank you for recommending a lumberyard red oak board for my first bow.  Thanks.  I'm a Texan living in Indiana, in Monrovia about 20 miles southwest of Indy, where the woods begin.  In 1991 I started using compound bows, found them very nearly like my rifles, and graduated to a Jerry Hill fiberglass longbow.  Now I'm beginning to make wood bows for my grandaughter and myself, and others as I see fit.  I read Marc St. Louis' article titled "Quick and Easy String" in the Feb/Mar Primitive Archer magazine and still can't figure out how to make a string.  Can you or someone else suggest where I can go to learn?  I have a copy of TBB volume 2 and have ordered 1 and 3, but someone who could point me in the right direction right away would be greatly appreciated.

Don Rhudy

Offline david w.

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2008, 11:49:23 pm »
OK, here goes. My name is Kevin Little, I'm married with two little girls, ages 4&5. I'm originally from West-by-God-Virginia, but I married a Mainiac, so here we are. I'm a Registered Maine Guide and bamboo flyrod maker. I've been guiding since college('83) and shooting bows for almost as long. After years of 3D shooting and a couple of runs to the IBO Worlds, I found myself burning out on gadgets. I put away the modern equipment and bought a longbow. It's been all downhill from there  ;)  being a person who likes to make their own gear, it was natural for me to want to make a bow, but I fought it for several years. I finally started on board bows two days ago and proceeded to blow up #1 within 4 hrs. #2 is showing promise, since I backed it, but it's got a ways to go before it's a bow. I need to get some more tools, but I think I'm here to stay.

bamboo rod building is something i want to learn to do.

if i am ever in maine will you guide me? ;)

Offline Canerod

• High Country Guide Service
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 12:50:09 am »
"bamboo rod building is something i want to learn to do.

if i am ever in maine will you guide me? Wink"

Any time. There's some great hunting and fishing up here, as long as you can deal with the winters, lol. The Northwoods are made for archers, since anyplace you can see 20yds is a "clearing".

Rodmaking is every bit as addictive as bowmaking. I suggest getting "Fundamentals of Making a Bamboo Flyrod" By Maurer and Elser as a great starting point. I have all of my students get it and read it cover-to-cover before they show up to learn rodmakng. It really is the bamboo maker's version of the TBB series.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline david w.

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2008, 12:52:16 am »
i have an old south bend cane rod. i wonder if its worth anything probably not much it was probably mass produced but ti is still a very nice rod.

could i fish with it even though its 50 yrs old?

thanks for all the advice i will do it someday.