Author Topic: Favorite Fly Pattern  (Read 4427 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Favorite Fly Pattern
« on: January 28, 2019, 07:29:24 pm »
What's your favorite fly pattern for trout, panfish & bass.

Offline JEB

Re: Favorite Fly Pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 08:20:37 pm »
Wet fly called a wiggler fly. Use to tie 36 an hour and sold them for $.50 each back in 71.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 01:39:54 am »
Muddler Minnow will take all three  (=). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 05:44:19 am »
Sponge spiders for gills. For bass I like big frog patterns and for trout I like HUGE articulated streamers, 4-8" long with either a conehead or not. I like to target big brown trout on big rivers with my 8wt rods.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:25:09 am »
Wet fly called a wiggler fly. Use to tie 36 an hour and sold them for $.50 each back in 71.
[/quote.

Springs wiggler?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:57:44 am »
Sponge spiders for gills. For bass I like big frog patterns and for trout I like HUGE articulated streamers, 4-8" long with either a conehead or not. I like to target big brown trout on big rivers with my 8wt rods.
Need pics … or it ain't true.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 10:32:09 am »
Woolley Bugers will catch anything that swims.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 07:37:41 pm »
Jeb how do you tie a springs wiggler?

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »
Kevin, yes Springs wiggler fly.

Rob: not in a position/place to show you. Pretty basic materials: hook, chenille, squirrel tail, 00 thread  and hackle.

Tied a few others, Dr Tom and Muddler minnow.  I was in it for the money back then when we first got married.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 10:39:17 pm »
Don't fly fish anymore, fly rod disappeared! Too cheap to buy another one, but if I remember right you could get a lot of strikes on black gnats!  DuPont half wings work, too >:D )F( Woompf! (lol). For bait casting, I Like the jitterbug for bass!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 01:57:23 am »
Caught lots of Steelhead back in the Day with Springs Wiggler Nymph ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 05:15:08 am »
We fished the fly stretch of the PM River with the wiggler fly. Took many steelhead with that fly. The largest I caught was 16 #s on 8 pound main line with 4 pound leader. Had to go light because the river was so clear.  Didn't have the funds to mount the fish so we ate it. Now you can't keep any fish in that area of the stream.

I use to tie some flies for ice fishing also.  Sold all my fly tying stuff so I don't tie anymore.  Use to make custom rods also. Still have a handful of Fenwick blanks to make up for the grandkids.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 01:05:24 pm »
  DuPont half wings work, too >:D )F( Woompf! (lol).
Hawkdancer
Yeah, with a long det cord leader...  >:D ;)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 11:51:49 pm »
Rob if I remember right we traded a bunch of flies a couple of years ago.  There should have been a spring wiggler in that bunch. 

My favorite fly and in my opinion, the most versital would have to be the crackelback.
It can be fished in just about every way.  You can add some weight to them, put a bead head on and even a tail. And the size and color is pretty much unlimited. 

But the fly Ive caught a ton of fish on (trout and blue gill) is a chamois worm. Just cut a silver off of a car chamois and tie it on a #12 hook.  Make a couple humps in it and leave it long on both ends.  Looks just like a live worm in the water!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 04:50:27 pm »
Patrick I'll have to give that a try.