Author Topic: Quiet Bows ?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Little John

Quiet Bows ?
« on: May 28, 2019, 09:02:14 pm »
  I always thought that my bows were quite shooters, until this afternoon when I was shooting while wearing hearing aids. I guess I have some tuning to work on, sounds like the arrows are whacking the riser of the bow, any tips? Maybe lighter spined arrows?  I now also know know how noisy we walk now that I can hear more like deer and elk.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Quiet Bows ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 10:10:22 pm »
Somebody earlier suggested raising the nock point a bit.  Maybe a leather pad on the arrow shelf and pass.  Amazing how loud the world is when you can hear better! (lol).  I'm still adapting to my new implant - getting better though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 04:12:43 am »
Little John,

I have found raising the brace height will cure the sound of the arrow smacking the riser. Just go a little at a time until the sound goes away.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 05:33:07 am »
Kenneth, Kathy's been telling you for years you've needed hearing aids.  :o   ;)

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 05:54:46 am »
Try bare shaft tuning. All that noise and vibration goes away. You can get good arrow flight with mis-spined arrows, but they are loud.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 08:58:43 am »
Thanks everyone I will try to get it sorted out. 20 months after wrecking my shoulder I am just now able to pull a hunting weight bow with out pain so am just trying to get back into it.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell