Author Topic: Ed's deer call  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Ed's deer call
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:08:25 pm »
Ed shipped out some deer calls to interested parties via the exchange forum.  Thought I'd start a thread on it.

I won't post any pics yet, to respect Ed's privacy on his invention.   I like the simplicity,  reminds me of quail calls we made as kids.  When the deer come back by my neighborhood thjs evening I'll see how it goes on city deer snd report back.

In the meantime it drives my dog insane.   Here's a little short 6 or 7 second vid...add an "h" to the prefix.

ttps://youtu.be/HrhiGbN7mCs
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Ed's deer call
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:55:30 pm »
They sure aren’t anything to look at and make a funny sound. But I’m looking forward to see how the white tail and mule deer react to them. Thanks, Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 04:02:21 pm »
Tried it out on two nice bucks grazing in the neighbors yard and didn't get a response.  These are city deer snd tune out alot of background noises.   I'll try again at various times and see how it goes.

Edit: I can almost get it to sound like the fauns when theh call out to momma, going to work on that and see how the doe respond as well.

Edit yet again:  found a doe and two of last years fauns in the back yard. I found I can slightly bend the call and raise the pitch.  So I started out with high pitch and dropped  it to the lower natural pitch.  Kind of like and elk cow call.  They keyed in on it, with the doe coming around the corner to investigate and watching my direction for quite some time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:16:29 pm by dieselcheese »
-Homer Simpson-

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:56:27 pm »
I received my call today.  What an ingenious creation!  To me it sounds like a fawn in distress call.  I have a production call that sounds very similar to it but is louder.  Ed's softer call should work great on calling them in to a closer distance.  I bet it works great on the mature does in early bow season.  It might even work as a predator call.  I think I will wait until late spring when the fawns are born to try mine out.  I don't want to educate them on the call when there isn't any fawns. 

Thanks again for sending it Ed!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 07:49:00 pm »
Got mine, too. I agree with Clint. I might take it with me turkey hunting this year. I usually see more deer up close, then during deer season here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 09:18:59 pm »
So far I've had a ton of interest with mule deer doe and even the yearlings.   The mule deer bucks haven't paid much attention yet.

When you guys blow it, try flexing it to explore the different pitches.  You can really mimic the faun distress call well.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 08:10:49 am »
I can confirm that it will attract a bobcat.  Not exactly a deer, but I'm trying to get him taken care of anyway.  This helps immensely.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 11:50:11 am »
Bobcat? That’s cool, I have called a yote while blowing it kinda loud and crazy, trying to get a bear I seen stand up in the brush. Never got a shot at either. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 12:16:52 pm »
You made my week when I blew it sitting out on the porch and Bobcatzilla comes out of the woods looking for a meal.  Even if the deer won't come to it it's worth its weight in gold for this.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 01:41:09 pm »
Got mine the other day, but haven't had a chance to get out to try it.  Hope to make it out this week or next.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 07:13:22 pm »
I think I can call a yote in with it, for sure.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?