Author Topic: Sharpening cabinet scrapers  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Sharpening cabinet scrapers
« on: January 31, 2019, 09:07:32 am »
This is about the best video I have run across lately about sharpening cabinet scrapers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KqPFQHqWJg

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Sharpening cabinet scrapers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:18:56 am »
ht tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOa66fASnXY
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:25:53 am »
Very interesting and informative!  Now to get a burnisher!, and figure out how to keep the gooseneck card sharp.  Been using diamond needle files.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:52:29 am »
Thats exactly the way I was tought.  Except his work hardening.  I don't see any real pros or cons to that step.  Although when squaring up the edge I start with 200 Dimond stone then 300, 400 then 600. It will make your burnished edge smooth as glass and it will reflect in your scraping. Good video though!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 03:11:29 pm »
Having trouble with some of the commercial burnishers, I researched the hardest metal and came up with tungsten steel.  I bought a short rod of it on the big auction site, added a small dowel handle on each end of the rod and now have the best burnishing tool yet.  It has finish sharpened many scrapers, most made out of commercial saw mill band saw material, and not a scratch on the burnishing tool to date.

Great video.  Dean Torges used and taught the same method.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 09:01:18 am »
That's good to know.

I use a butchers steel for knife sharpening. It's what I had on hand and it worked so I never looked into buying anything else. You have to make sure it's smooth and the butcher steel is cheap. Found mine years ago at a yard sale for a buck.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 09:47:11 am »
You post useful things, Eric.  Hadn’t seen that whole process before...good to know.
1’—>1’

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 09:50:08 am »
That's good to know.

I use a butchers steel for knife sharpening. It's what I had on hand and it worked so I never looked into buying anything else. You have to make sure it's smooth and the butcher steel is cheap. Found mine years ago at a yard sale for a buck.

Patrick
Do you use the steel just as a burnisher or do you do the whole sharpening process with the steel?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 02:52:23 pm »
I sharpen mine just like Patrick. Though that may be because he taught me how to sharpen them. And with how much black locust I work, I have to sharpen frequently. Once tempered, that stuff eats the edge off a blade. Much worse than almost every other wood I’ve messed with. I’ll generally have to resharpen after each bow.

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 07:44:22 pm »
That's good to know.

Patrick
Do you use the steel just as a burnisher or do you do the whole sharpening process with the steel?

Just as the burnisher bud.

Patrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 08:27:57 am »
A screw driver with a round shank makes a good burnisher and ie easy to hold and control.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 05:43:40 pm »
I had always used a screwdriver shank or the burnisher that came with a Torges tool. On a whim I ordered a made in England, Crown burnishing tool a while back to see if it was better than what I was using. I tried it out today for the first time, it worked very well, and has what appears to be very fine tooth like rings on it to move more metal. It was like a finer version of a butcher's steel. It took very few strokes to raise a nice burr.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:07:09 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 06:58:15 am »
That's good to know Eric.
Kyle has a burnishing tool set, I used it once at mojam. It seamed to work very well. I'll see if I can get a picture of the butcher steel I use. The rod is smooth as glass.

Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 08:12:42 am »
This is what I have, ben using it for years!

Patrick

Offline Stoner

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 07:05:21 pm »
Well explained and simple. John