Author Topic: Flight arrows FOC  (Read 2847 times)

Offline DC

Flight arrows FOC
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:33:23 pm »
What would be a good starting point for a flight arrow FOC?

Offline Scyth

Re: Flight arrows FOC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 10:08:15 pm »

Larry Hatfield on flight arrows -

“Generally speaking, somewhere between 3 and 5 grains per pound will get the best results. And, yes, you are putting the bow in jeopardy. We use skinny strings also on bows that like them because even a half foot or a few inches will change a record. The grns/# thing is sort of tricky. You need to shoot an arrow that weighs enough to absorb adequate force from the string, but light enough to gain significant distance. For a wood arrow, I start with the stiffest spine possible and then taper both ways from a point just forward of the true center of the shaft. Usually try to reduce to 1/4" at the nock and tip. I have shot them with just a fire hardened end, and no point or a really small hand made brass point around 1/8" inside diameter. The balance point of a finished arrow that flies the best for me, is anywhere between 1/4 and 1 inch forward of the true center of the finished arrow. Too close to true center will cause the arrow to turn upward and fly backwards at some near point after release. Too far forward will cause a loss of significant distance. Also, the fletch should be extremely light and small. Owl feathers are really good for use, or the very end of full length turkey. Takes hardly anything to stabilize a flight arrow.”

regards,

Scyth
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:41:21 am »
Thanks Scyth

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 10:30:43 am »
I recon you want the balance point about 2-5% front of centre (pretty much agrees with Scyth :) ). I think if you have it any further back you'll need bigger fletchings to hold it in even flight.
With weight too far back I've seen 'em fly straight for 50 yards, nosedive, turn hard right, climb, turn left and then straighten out  :o
damn scarey!
I think Hickman's experiments gave 10% as optimum, but I think that was for target rather flight arrows.
This calculator is quite handy, it gives 2 methods, but there isn't much difference between them.
http://archerycalculator.com/arrow-front-of-center-foc-calculator/
Del
(Admin... please delete link if not allowed.... I think it's ok as it's not commercial)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:44:49 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 11:08:23 am »
Thanks Del, I've already got that calculator bookmarked :D I think I've got a starting spot now.

Offline Scyth

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 03:03:02 pm »

DC -

Turkish flight arrows :

http://margo.student.utwente.nl/sagi/artikel/turkish/

regards,

Scyth
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 05:15:24 pm »
scythe

good info from Larry Hatfield. can you mention where you found that? did he write more about other flight stuff?