Author Topic: got some new material  (Read 6427 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
got some new material
« on: April 06, 2008, 01:15:33 pm »
Here is some new points I have made. The red one is from some new material I just recieved. The other is a sad attempt from some old stuff I had.
Nugget

[attachment deleted by admin]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: got some new material
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 01:26:18 pm »
Dang, TJ. I've never seen anyone knap a clothes pin. Thats pretty cool.  :D
   Nice points, both of them. Obsidian does make knapping a bit easier, I believe.        Pat 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
Hey if you are gonna go primitive why not go all out ;D. The smaller one is from the stuff I got from you I think.
Thanks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline nugget

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 02:32:56 pm »
Does anyone know what kind of obsidian the red one is called?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 03:18:04 pm »
Looks like you're getting it figured out, TJ.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 03:19:46 pm »
Every chance I get ;D

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »
Nice Job.  The red color in the obsidian is just iron oxides.  Don't know why, but the Indians never made lots of points and tools out of anything that had this color. Maybe the wrong medicine!!??  It is really abundant in the Glass Buttes of central Oregon.  As long as you are not superstitious, bet the the deer would never know the difference.  Iron and copper oxides are often found in some Texas flints and show up when heat treated.  Thats how they trace finds to certain areas where they think the flint came from.  Keep up the good work!!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline nugget

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 07:25:15 pm »
Thanks alot.
What would be the difference in trying to make a knife blade? Do you go about it the same way as you would a point?
I want to make a blade bad.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 11:39:46 pm »
Good job.  Obsidian is pretty sweet to work, but I wear gloves when I do.  It's scary how sharp it is.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 01:53:10 pm »
 The red obsidian is called "Mahogany" (Like the tree) It's very pretty but like was said,you did'nt find alot of points laying around made of the stuff.The stuff I picked up at the glass buttes was'nt as fluid and as easy to work as alot of the other.  Your work is looking good. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline nugget

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 03:20:53 pm »
Thanks alot. That is about the best piece I have made . I want to notch it ,but that is usually where I end up breaking or ruining the points.