Author Topic: Short and wide sinew-backed ERC w/ siyahs  (Read 12988 times)

Offline simk

Re: Short and wide sinew-backed ERC w/ siyahs
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2019, 09:37:42 am »
High Score! I'd kill for a piece of that wood!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Parnell

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2019, 10:25:44 am »
That’s really cool, fun to see something different.  I continue to be curious when I see your bows when it comes to your squared grips.  Is that something that just feels more comfortable to you?

Nice one.
1’—>1’

Offline Will B

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 03:34:54 pm »
Great looking bow!!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2019, 06:03:29 pm »
Thank you SC, ty, ohma, DuBois, TimBo, Hawk and sticks.   )P(

B2W, the reason the outers look the way they do is two-fold... first, there's some reflex out there so despite their appearance, they are doing a fair amount of work. Secondly, I make a conscious effort not to let the inners or outers do too much work. I've found I get the best results when the mid limbs are doing the majority. Thanks for your reply.  :)

Much appreciated Sidewinder, M2A, Ben, simk and Will!

And thanks Parnell. I've actually really been trying to give extra attention to my grip shapes lately, modeling them as sorta a hybrid between Outlaw's and Marc St. Louis'. This one got a squarish handle simply because I didn't have much handle wood on hand (no pun intended) when I build it. That said, I do kinda like the feel of a straight and even grip, especially on shorter bows. Not sure why that is.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:19:25 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 05:39:36 am »
Beautiful bow in all aspects, very nice work, I am with Steve on the grip, but to each their own, if it fits you , that's all that matters. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 07:48:30 am »
Really nice dedicated work. This looks like the most intimidating of all the bow builds one could undertake.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 01:58:21 pm »
Thatis a pretty crazy bow if you ask me! Erc and sinew is a great combo. Really pretty wood and awesome job on the spliced syjahs.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 05:18:26 pm »
Thank you kindly Pappy, Sagebrush and Leon. Can't tell you how much I value your perspectives. :)

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline barebo

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 04:32:12 pm »
Compared to the basic "working man's" type bows that I make, this is akin to the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel !!! I am in awe of your ability to transform natural materials into functional works of art.
Your production rate is prolific as well. I can't think of any compliment to offer that hasn't been already - every offering you present keeps me awestruck!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 08:24:29 pm »
Nice one, this bow was a labour of love for sure

Offline Bojahu

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2019, 11:24:18 pm »
Beautiful work!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 06:35:59 am »
Beautiful bow and the design is on point! Never would have thought that Osage would pair so nicely with the cedar.
Gives me encouragement to work on the cedar stave I have. Bow of the month for sure!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 06:47:08 am »
barebo, thank you very much. Hopefully in the spring we can meet up and do some shootin'.  )P(

Thanks goat. Your work has always been an inspiration. One of the things I love about bow making is crystalizing an idea of what I'd like an outcome to be, then planning each and every step it will take to get there. It's especially nice when the vision doesn't blow up in your face.  (--) ;D

Thanks Bojahu  :)

I know what you mean about osage and ERC Patrick. Never thought so either until I held them up next to each other.  (=)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline barebo

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 07:54:33 am »
I'm looking forward to hitting the 3D circuit this year here in central NY - we have some excellent courses that are Traditional / Primitive friendly. Hoping we can get out together this spring!

I've made 6 or 7 bamboo backed bows and just glued up this one with my first attempt at a "power lam" of sorts. I used Ipe over a nicely grained hickory core and had to continually thin it down to  make the gap at the bamboo backing transition smooth. Once I take it out of the clamps we'll see what I ended up with?

I like a standard "D" shape hence no reflex induced. 67"ntn.

Not meaning to Hijack your beautiful bow thread - just letting you know I still have my fingers in the pie.

Offline dbeane

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2019, 12:38:19 pm »
Wow. Beatutiful bow, congratulations!
The beard grows, but the head gets no wiser.