Author Topic: Sinew Backing  (Read 10710 times)

Offline KamloopsPrairieBoy

Sinew Backing
« on: February 04, 2019, 12:16:03 pm »
I have recently built a Pacific Yew long bow for a friend. It turned out well and has 12 coats of Tung Oil. My friend was wondering if it is still possible to sinew back the bow. Not sure if that is a good idea on Yew and not thinking it would work as the bow has been oiled. Any suggestions out there?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew Backing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 03:16:26 pm »
How long is the bow? If much more than 2x his draw length you won't get the full potential from the sinew.
 You will have to remove the finish then you can wash it with Dawn dish soap and warm water then rinse with boiling water. That's how I prep bow backs for sinewing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KamloopsPrairieBoy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 03:11:44 pm »
Thanks for the help. The bow is 72" long and has lots of length for the required 28" draw. I have decided not to sinew back the bow given your comments.  I took it to the range to shoot on Sunday and was generally pleased. Very smooth draw but the release wasn't as smooth as I had hoped. I learn new things with each bow.  Just finished a shorter Ocean Spray flat bow - sinew backed - and it is smooth as silk. Thanks again.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:21:04 pm »
The biggest question that needs to be answered first is WHY?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.