Author Topic: Bandsaw question  (Read 1659 times)

Offline DC

Bandsaw question
« on: February 04, 2019, 02:06:08 pm »
My bandsaw leaves these marks/grooves across a cut. I thought it was one tooth out of set but I've now noticed that it's every blade. I get my blades from a guy down island that cuts and welds them from bulk. I thought that maybe his welder was knocking a tooth out of line or something but I examined all the teeth in the area of the weld and can't see anything wrong. If it is a bent tooth how do I find it? It's only a 64 1/2" blade so it's not hard to examine but I can't see anything. Could something be wrong with the saw itself? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bandsaw question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 03:10:59 pm »
Bent teeth?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 05:34:27 pm »
Do you have the blade guides set correctly?  It looks like it has too much play.  Maybe the tension isn't high enough?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 05:45:48 pm »
It sure looks like it would be bent teeth,Pat, but it's happened with many blades. The saw is a metal bandsaw that I stood up and added a small table to. I'm not sure how adjustable the blade guides are. I'll try more tension, that's an easy one.

PS more tension helped a lot but I had to make it scary tight.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:48:53 pm by DC »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 01:05:03 am »
Could be something on one of the wheels or tyres. Take the blade off and spin the wheels with a bit of sandpaper to clean 'em off and to feel if there is a high spot etc.
Waggle the wheels while you have the blade off to check the bearings.
Failing that, give it all a good strip down and clean ... works for most things.  ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 05:20:18 am »
I'd have a go at the guides.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 07:29:22 am »
Mine does the same, and its very tuned in and clean. The strange part is it doesn't sound like its cutting that way. It sounds smooth, yet looks like a beaver made the cut. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 09:48:34 am »
Increasing the tension helped a lot but I don't know if I'm shortening the blade life by having it that tight. Maybe increasing tension is masking the real problem. I'm not sure how tight the blade should be. I'll do some Googling. It's a Mickey Mouse saw made for cutting metal. It has no tires. The guides are at an angle to twist the blade so you can cross cut long stock. It has ball bearing guides. The bearings must be mounted on eccentric shafts if the is any adjustment. I'll look at that when the shop warms up. Thanks for the ideas.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 12:24:46 pm »
I tore it apart and found the guides were out of adjustment(didn't even know they were adjustable) so I got that as good as I can. It seems better without the high blade tension so I'll leave it for now and see what happens. Thanks for the advise. :)