Author Topic: 6 degrees and camping... ish  (Read 2168 times)

Offline sleek

6 degrees and camping... ish
« on: February 07, 2019, 06:24:34 pm »
So i have returned to my nomadic ways. Right now, its in the 20s but dropping down to 6 tonight. Im sleeping in the backseat of my truck in a walmart parking lot.  I bought a sleeping bag advertised as good to 0 degrees. Ive been to 13 with good results, chilled feet, but a blanket inside helped. I will report on the brand and results tomorrow.  However, this bag is fraking comfy! Soft and fluffy. Im loving it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:43:00 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: 6 degrees and camping... ish
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:36 pm »
Good luck, pal!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 08:08:14 am »
Try some wool socks with it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:15:05 am »
Put a sock cap on your head.  Might also try to find a small heater, but you would have to crack a window open a bit.  A survival trick is to take a steel ammo can or a #10 steel food can, and 3 - 6 18 hour votive candles and enough parrafin to reach the crowns of the candles, light 3 at a time.  The container radiates some heat as well, but do crack a vent.  Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 02:27:02 pm »
I like the ammo can idea Hawkdancer. I will put that to use one day.
Mulllet, i need to invest in a good pair of those. Any recommendations?

Well the night passed uneventfully. The sleeping back with a very soft red and black plaid interior slept amazingly. Its plenty wide with a decent zipper. I stuffed my clothes and a blanket at my feet to help keep my feet and clothes warm. My feet get cold easier than they used to. I put another blanket loosely over my head to keep that warm as i dont like tucking my head into a bag, even though there is room to ball up inside there.

When I woke up there was a layer of frost my my own body moisture so heavy in the inside of my windows i had to use an ice scraper to remove it. The air was quite cold on the inside of my truck. I dont know if it hit 6 degrees,  but it was for certain single digits. I was very warm and cozy inside my sleeping bag all night, and very reluctant to get out. If anybody is in the market for a good bag, this is it. It has a tough canvas exterior, roles up easy, says its good down to 0°, and I believe it. I got it from Bass Pro, the brand is Rogue Expedition.  It was under 90 bucks. Best thing I ever spent money on. Highly recommend it, and no, im not paid or anything by them.

Im thinking about getting a water proofing spray to seal the outside from dew. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 05:54:03 pm »
For HEAVY weight wool socks, go to the big auction site and search for "heavy weight wool socks".  Find the ones hand made in Russia.  I've had 2 pairs that are almost knee high for 2 winters and have used them extensively for tree stand sitting and inside hip boots in the water.  They are excellent for keeping my feet warm in COLD conditions.  The price is right and quality is superb.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 06:41:48 pm »
For HEAVY weight wool socks, go to the big auction site and search for "heavy weight wool socks".  Find the ones hand made in Russia.  I've had 2 pairs that are almost knee high for 2 winters and have used them extensively for tree stand sitting and inside hip boots in the water.  They are excellent for keeping my feet warm in COLD conditions.  The price is right and quality is superb.

Nice. And thanks.

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 04:56:07 am »
or walk into Walmart and buy a pair of heavy merino wool socks which are located in the sporting goods department.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 06:19:50 am »
Kevin, do try the amo can trick. You Wil be amazed the wormth you will get from just a couple of candles. I keep them in my truck and the wife's car all winter long.
That's something my dad tought me when I was just a kid. Only has to use it once. Should have seen the look on the highway patrols face when he opened the car door and seen me and my ex-wife huddled under an army blanket with a couple candles burning I a can under it.
Not sure how cold it was that night but te weather was terrible and the roads were worse. Hit a patch of ice and slid her car off in a ditch. No cell phones then. I remember the only thing that was cold was my feet.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 07:18:32 pm »
Vermont Country Store, Sleek, is where my wife got them when she did meat cutting. They are fully 100% wool and just a little pricey, but last a long time. She retired over thelve years ago cutting meat and I still use them hunting. A good investment.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 09:19:15 pm »
C'mon, Eddie, your wife can't be retired at only 29!   More power to her!  (My mother told me me, "No lady is ever over 29, until she tells you she is"!)

Sleek, there may be some Army wool socks at the local surplus store.  They are pretty good, and usually sort, sort of cheap since they are still in the inventory. 

Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry