Author Topic: Bacote belly wood.  (Read 1664 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Bacote belly wood.
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:53:51 pm »
Anyone try Bacote as a belly wood. I found a few pieces of wood recently. Several boards of bocote, padduk, bamboo and ipe. I have learned from experience the Padduk and bows don’t mix. The only luck I’ve ever had using it was on the tip overlays. Might work higher up on the handle. The bacote is 40 inches long. I could splice it. If I wanted to make a tri lam would it work for belly wood?
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Sagebrush

Re: Bacote belly wood.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:12:19 am »
I was thinking of giving it a try backed with thin bamboo. All my research of the forums indicated it might be a little bit weak , but tbb rated it as okay. You never know until you go.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:27:46 am »
Check it on the wood databases. Should let you know what the compression strength is. I would say that it would probably work but not sure. Your right about paduk pretty brittle stuff.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:49:59 pm »
Thanks to both of y’all . At the very least I have plenty for power lams and handles.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:38:36 pm »
I'd lean towards too brittle and probably save it for grips. I have had two bacote tip overlays explode on my bows. Its very "crunchy" wood. I dont use it anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:15:40 pm »
that's an expensive experiment :)