Author Topic: Need deer repellent/deterrents that actually work  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Need deer repellent/deterrents that actually work
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:47:32 am »
When I first moved up in to the mountains, like most lowlanders I was enamored  by the wildlife.  Every time a deer came in the yard my wife and I would grab our phones and text pictures  to all of our friends.

The honeymoon is over and now I view the city deer as rats with hooves.

I have a herd that regularly hangs out in my backyard,  mostly does and last years offspring.  And from what I've seen of the bucks around, this herd will be bigger come spring.  Counted 7 in my yard this morning and another half dozen in neighbors yards.

They eat everything,  including plants and herbs they're not supposed to like.  Plus I discretely discovered my neighbor with a bag of corn, feeding them.  (She's a nice old lady and I've been through wars with neighbors over stupid behaviors before so I'm leaving the issue alone for now)

The easiest solution would be a taller fence, but the yard is good sized and we have other priorities like changing out drafty single pane windows.  Our fences in the neighborhood are only 4 feet tall and my dog can easily escape otherwise I  would just give him the run of the yard to keep them out, but if I turn my back on him he's off down the street.  When I do let him give chase the deer just hop the fence and stand 5 feet away, they know the rules and aren't intimidated behind a barrier. 

Today is a bit warmer, and the snow is melting pretty good.  The aroma in my backyard is that of a feed lot,  and the blanket of deer poo is ridiculous.  The poo is a sticky and nasty from the snow melt,  and I'm not joking about it blanketing the yard. 

Does anyone have repellent or deterrents that actually work?  I let the dog urinate all over with no noticeable effects.  Tried a couple of commercial repellents but they are expensive and I'm not noticing much effect.   Also tried some homemade options found on the internet  without success.   
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need deer repellent/deterrents that actually work
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:05:35 am »
Yard dogs are the only deterrent I know of and even they aren't 100%. We have 2 dogs that keep bears and coyotes away but when they are in the house the deer eat everything they can in our yard. Any topical deterrents I've heard of or tried work only until it rains.
 I have heard that Lifebuoy soap hung around the yard works but who wants that all over the yard. Electric fences might work too until they figure out how to get around, or over them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:19:47 am »
I think a tall fence is the only "fer shure" option. Anything else they will adapt to. I'm kinda in the same boat as you only not quite as bad. When we had dogs, no problems. As a stop gap you could make a temp top half for you fence. A four foot stick with a few strands of visible wire or line on them will usually stop them but if you weigh the price of that against a new fence it might not be a worth while investment. I've heard that a .22lr in the dark works. Actually got that hint from a game warden. One of my neighbours uses a crossbow.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:19:32 pm »
I've heard that a .22lr in the dark works. Actually got that hint from a game warden. One of my neighbours uses a crossbow.

If I lived outside the city I'd be strongly considering these options, ethics be danged.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:35:18 pm »
Pick up a couple guinea hens. They will chase about anything off. Better than guard dogs, lol. If they don't work then you can eat them.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:39:19 pm »
I've found sharp arrowheads and bullets are pretty effective.  Of course you can only use them during deer season.   Seriously though, my wife bought a few motion activated sprinklers to keep them out of our yard.  They worked really well but you have to have water hoses stretched through your yard.  When a deer or other animal walks within range they get blasted with water.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 04:55:10 pm »
Buying my tags every season usually keeps them away for me...  :-[  :(
 ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:22:20 pm »
I'm like Clint, a new Ruger 10/22 with the screw on suppressor and CB's. Also a good freezer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:07:26 pm »
I agree with Clin and Eddie, but inside city limits restricts your options.  File a wildlife damage claim with the state wildlife agency and the city animal control to cyoa!   Make sure the neighbors are also p.o'ed and won't complain, and do it after dark!  That is why I don't like being in the city limits!  The motion activated water sprinklers seem to be a good bet.  Btw, I teach Hunter ed, but there ar limits both ways. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online GlisGlis

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 03:59:29 am »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:20:56 am »
You might consider an electric fence. The one around my garden is low but the deer don't jump it, they can't see it in the dark and walk into it, a couple of zaps and they keep their distance. There are ways to keep deer that do jump the fence out that amounts to putting two rows of fencing out.

I had neighborhood dogs watering my greens as well, the low strand on the fence stopped that. I get a perverse pleasure now when I hear a dog start yelping at 3am because I know he won't be marking any territory in my greens patch. 

Offline ohma2

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 10:42:58 am »
Bulllets and electricity are the only sure cure we have been ablle to come up with.fish and game have not been much help at all.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 11:02:54 am »
Thanks, guys.  Sounds like electricity is the way to go. 
-Homer Simpson-