Author Topic: What is a heavy chested bow tiller  (Read 4882 times)

Offline Part time Archer

Re: What is a heavy chested bow tiller
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 09:12:37 am »
I look like to apply this to a wooden bow. Would it make sense that a 20 lb bow to have less positive tiller than a 60 lb bow for split finger? If so then could someone come up with a solution. Maybe just guessing here throwing numbers out there , maybe 1\16 positive tiller adjustment on top limb for every 12.5 lbs of draw weight.

Offline Part time Archer

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:30 am »
Yeah could not imagine having that kind of tillering board set up. But could imagine if it was correct to use a simple formula based on adding 1\16 or some fraction for every so many lbs. If it was correct. No I am a wood bow person.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:08 am »
On wood bows,,.the stave can vary...looking at full draw gives u a good idea of positive tiller,,,and the way it shoots...measuring brace,,,can be deceptive,,,the flight shooting guys are experts on arrow flight

Offline Part time Archer

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 09:40:52 am »
ThankS everyone. Could imagine a model mini bow of 12 inches having something like 1\32 positive tiller and an 80 inch bow having maybe 3\4 or 1 inch but does weight mass density factor in? Imagine the easy way out fiber glass that the properties never change and you have a plethora of formulas to plug in and make a Lego like bow, not for me !

Offline bassman

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 10:59:27 am »
I have 2 early 50's Bear Grizzly bows ,and a Stemmler all fiberglass bow . All 3 bows have up to one inch of positive tiller, and deep bending limbs to get proper brace at the riser. At first I thought the bows were just bad from use, and that still could be, but with a higher than normal string nock point they shoot fine.Both Bear bows have static tips.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 11:12:37 am »
On a selfbow only the full draw tiller matters like Brad said. Using staves to build bows there is no "regular" about it. Each is different. Where on a braced selfbow would you measure positive tiller, at the fades? what if there is a hump there or a twist. Neither would prevent the selfbow from shooting well.
Also, with a very loose grip, where the bow can turn in your loosely gripping hand on release arrows of different spines can be shot accurately. This was demonstrated successfully to my by Art Butner years ago. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 03:19:58 pm »
Pat C, coming off the fades at three inches the top limb brace is 7 and half inches. Bottom limb is 7 inches.When you measure the widest point in the belly the top limb is 8 inches, and the bottom limb is 7 inches.That is on the fiberglass bow.On the tiller tree at 25 inch draw the top limb is 14 inches,the bottom limb is 13 inches.The 2 old Bear grizzly  bows are similar. I only mention fiberglass, and fiberglass lamb bows,because that is what the Fisk bows are with the claims he is making.I am sure I read some were that the old bows were made this , but I don't remember for what reason.

Offline Part time Archer

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 05:56:56 am »
ThankS for the positive feedback. Love you guys .
 :OK