Author Topic: Sugar maple bow stave  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Sugar maple bow stave
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:36:23 pm »
I have a sugar maple stave that's almost dry and I'm wanting to start working it down some. It's got a pretty good twist to it as you can see. Is dry heat or wet heat better for maple? How does it bend? I've never worked with maple before. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Sugar maple bow stave
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:33:21 pm »
Thats 90 degrees. I dont think you'll have great luck with any heat, and working into bow shape would be difficult at best. Id cut its length down, far that far end, and eliminate as much twist as i could. Get it around 45 degrees and you have a shot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 05:19:54 pm »
Maybe cut it into billets and splice it, cutting the splice in a way that removes the twist? Or say heck with it, cut it to a board, and back it with hickory or something?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 05:59:33 pm »
I agree with PD, that's a lot of twist to try and contend with.  I do like the wood though.  Responds well to heat treating.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 04:00:46 pm »
That stave has a lot of twist to make a selfbow. You might have success ripping it into two lams with the grain arranged as mirror images: Rip, open the book and then stack. Then use a wood backing with ideal grain as a third lam. Try to make the mirror lams the same thickness AFTER tiller.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 04:01:11 pm »
Another question about sugar maple. Is it weaker in compression or tension?  How do you deal with a high crown back? Can you decrown maple?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 04:21:14 pm »
Been a few years since I worked on those maple bows so...from memory....weaker in compression but not like say, hackberry weaker.  Again,I heat treated them all and it made a big difference in firming the belly up.  Most every stave bow has some degree of crown, with some more severe than others, like say a bow from a small diameter limb.  I dont decrown any of them.  If the crown is really high, then I will go longer, more narrow in width and get it bending thru the handle to compensate.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 04:21:39 pm »
The crown is not an issue on "normal" design