Author Topic: A little reflex came out of one of my limbs during tillering. Any way to correct  (Read 1517 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
As I am tillering a R/D bow a little reflex came out of one limb. Looks like it developed more set than the other. As a result I can’t get an even tiller and is about 1/2 inch off at brace. Is there a fix for this? Maybe remove a little wood near the curve of the limb with more Deflex? I stopped when I noticed it and have some room to remove more wood. The limbs were even after it came off the form.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Bayou Ben

1/2" is too much difference to brace imo. 
I use the long string to make sure the limbs are pretty even strength before bracing. 

So, I would reduce weight evenly on the heavy limb until you get them closer to even strength.  At that point you can see what it looks like.  They may mirror each other when the weight from the heavy limb is reduced.  Heavy limbs hold reflex differently than lighter ones.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
They were even when I braced. It wasn’t a full brace. Things were going as they should before that point. Thanks for the response. I’ll get to reducing the stiff limb tomorrow.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Badger

How much weight were you pulling on the bow as you tillered?. Sometimes if you sneak up on the tiller at lower poundage it will start giving more as you reach the higher poundage pulls. I start at full weight from almost the beginning. I just even them up and make sure they are still too strong in all areas of the limb. Then gradually come to full draw using target draw weight through the whole process.

Offline backtowood B2W

I had the same problem
After steaming and bending,I gave it a heat treatment with some extra bending into reflex. One limb is a dogleg and reflex started to come out there. I heat treated the whole bow again, but bent only the dogleg into more reflex again.
Now, the bow holds up the profile very nice.
B2W

Offline Selfbowman

Could be not completely dry.i have the same thing happening on a bow right now. I did the reheat on the entire bow and it helped but gained weight. Going to try re tillering to desired weight. Letting it set for a while first. Some times I just have to set them aside for a bit and go back at it latter. Its frustrating when you've tillered over a hundred and one still gives you fits. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Sagebrush

Quick questions what kind of wood? And how did you put in the reflex with dry heat or Steam?

Offline DC

The more reflex you put in the more likely some is to pull out. If you steam and then heat treat it you minimise your loss but you will probably still lose some. Trying to decide if it's set or just some of the reflex pulling out will drive you nuts. Like Badger has said, pullout is forever but set will recover over a bit of time. That doesn't help with the bow much but it gives you a clue as to whether it was your fault or not :D. I usually just keep the difference in mind until I get the bow out to 20" or so and then do a little heat treat on one limb or the other to even them out. One thing to keep in mind when you do this is  deflex doesn't pull out :D so deflexing the limb with to much reflex is the way to go. That said, I usually put more reflex in the weak limb because I'm greedy :)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Sorry guys I forgot to specify. It is a bamboo backed ipe board bow. I was able to get it about even but came out under weight as a result. I wound up giving it to my neighbors kid. I want to get back into practice with a couple board bows and then get a stave of Osage. Thanks for all the replies.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline DC

Just for future knowledge. The other day I had the string alignment go west on a Hazel backed Yew RD bow. The limb was twisted. I wrapped the limb with a hot pad and stuck a kitchen digital thermometer in along side the bow. I heated it until it got up to 150°f and twisted the limb to where I wanted it. I turned the heat pad off and left it for an hour, then unwrapped the pad and let it cool. I left it clamped in the new position the whole time It stayed right where I put it :D. I don't know if this will work for a bend compared to the twist I had but it's something to keep in mind.