Author Topic: Ipe wood.  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Mafort

Ipe wood.
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:08:59 pm »
Where does everyone get it at? I’ve looked everywhere online for it and can’t seem to find it anywhere. Been wanting to make a bow with it for some time now.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ipe wood.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 06:17:00 pm »
Try a local or upscale lumber company. Ipe is use as decking in many parts of the country. There may be some dealers that carry it in bow stave size. Pine Hollow, one of our sponsors may carry it  or maybe Raptor Archery in Oregon, also a sponsor.
 You could ask on our Trading Post but that is for trade only. No money allowed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:21:41 pm »
   I have been tempted to start stocking up on hand picked pieces. Most of what I have available to me is 1X6. Sometimes they let me hand select and sometimes they don't just depends who is in charge that day. I don't think it would be hard to see stave sized pieces. Sometimes ipe has really screwy grain that will crack so it is risky buying mail order from most suppliers.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:28:37 pm »
I got 4 or 5 1x6 boards online from advantage lumber. I think it cost me $60 or $70 shipped. Lots of wood that will make bow bellies but one whole board was useless. I got lucky, It is a gamble when you order like that unless you’re ordering from someone that knows what you are looking for.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:28:42 pm »
I have access to piles and piles of it with no lumberyard police hovering around.  I still think if someone tried to hand pick and re-sell specifically for bows  guys would immediately stop using it.  lol

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 07:31:23 pm »
Save yourself a headache and only get dark, straight grained Ipe. The best I've found is almost black that I know came from the Amazon. Some you buy is,,, I don't know what species it is. The ipe I have in my yard is white wood but hard as nails. And I have a log curing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?