Author Topic: Bird Treat  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Bird Treat
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:24:51 pm »
Had a new visitor today.  This is one bird I can't say I've ever seen before, at least not that I could positively identify.  At first, looking at it on a tree branch several yards away, I thought it was a Canada Jay but when it came closer I noticed it had a hooked beak.  It swooped down and looked like it wanted to land on the snow under the bird feeder, there were some Sunflower seeds on the snow, but I saw something black move in the snow and it moved off.  There's been a small Vole hanging around and I figured that it was this Vole which I had seen.  The Vole seemed to have scared it away and it landed a few feet away on a Raspberry cane, that is when I saw the hooked beak.  I was at this point a bit confused as to what this bird was.  It flew back up to the branch where I saw it the first time and seemed to be waiting there.  All of a sudden it swooped down again and nailed the Vole as it came out of the snow.  There was a scuffle for a few seconds until it finally grabbed the Vole and flew off.  Sadly I did not get any pictures of this, both my wife and I were to enthralled with what was happening only a few feet away from us.  The picture is one I picked up off the web
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bird Treat
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 02:05:28 pm »
Wanna-be raptor!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 03:51:08 pm »
Wanna-be raptor!

Yes it would seem that way. 

That picture did not do the bird justice.  This one is more what the bird looked like
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:13:25 am »
I thought I saw a tweety bird.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:02:53 am »
Looks like a loggerhead shrike, or one of it's relatives.  Sometimes hang their prey by impaling it on long thorns!  Don't remember their usual range.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 01:22:01 pm »
At this time of year he would only have northern shrikes in Ontario.  What few places in Ontario that would have loggerheads would only have them in the summer during breeding season.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.