Author Topic: where to store bows  (Read 981 times)

Offline Dante_F

where to store bows
« on: February 25, 2019, 09:51:50 am »
hi everyone so i was wondering where i should store the bows i make because i think the house would dry them out too much, i was thinking the shop or maybe the garage

Offline DC

Re: where to store bows
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 10:04:35 am »
Buy a couple of hygrometers and place them around the house or shop until you find a spot that stays around 45-50%RH. Leave the hygrometers with the bows and check them every so often to see seasonal variances.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 02:16:36 pm »
I keep mine in my house. If you have controlled environment (heat/ac) your home will have consistent year round temp and humidity which should be ideal for storing your bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 02:33:06 pm »
i was under the impression that the lower humidity was bad for the bow, so 50% humidity and at room temp sounds good

Offline Woodely

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 04:16:16 pm »
Generally speaking a house has 4 outside walls.  The house has hot spots and cold spots.  The coolest part of a home are the closets having an outside wall, better yet in a corner of a room having 2 outside walls.  Our master bedroom closet is at least 6-7 degrees cooler than the bedroom itself as long as the doors are shut. Floors are another cool spot.

My bows and archery gear are in the basement.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 05:56:17 pm »
the garage is sounding better and better since its a little cold and usually seem to have 50% humidity