Author Topic: collecting flint/chert in GA  (Read 7373 times)

Offline paulc

collecting flint/chert in GA
« on: February 14, 2019, 11:24:16 am »
Hey all, so I asked the almighty Google about flint sources here in GA and it gave me back a paper from early 70's that actually lists roads/bridges/etc where flint can be found on the surface...on a road trip for work I took an hour to look around.  I found this piece just laying on the surface.  I haven't done much with it yet but there might be a point or something in there.  Pretty neat finding a paper online and then finding rock laying beside the creek...I see some more collecting trips in my future.

Paul C

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: collecting flint/chert in GA
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:39:52 pm »
Go to Flint River, Ga. or Savannah. Flint River has the famous butter scotch looking Coastal Plains Chert.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 04:40:35 pm »
Looks like something I'd have to hit.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:17:18 pm »
So far it is proving pretty tough rock, hope to cook it this weekend. P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 09:28:27 am »
Eddie, what rock is around Savannah? The only rock I remember is ballast stones on River Street. Some of it was English flint but they frown on folks hauling it off. I've heard there are some ballast rock piles on the barrier Islands but I've never seen any.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulc

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 10:16:33 am »
Along the Snah river by Augusta is the only source of flint i know of...that area will be my first planned rock hunting trip. I've been keeping an eye of for ballast stones here on the islands but I've not been able to find any yet...P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 09:23:13 am »
Paul, which islands have you checked out. One I've heard of that does have piles of ballast stones is Little Tybee, Is. across the Back River from Tybee. I doubt you'd find any on any of the developed islands. If they were there they would have been used up by now for building or paving stones.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulc

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 11:16:00 am »
I’ve been to Little TYBEE but never specifically to look for rock...maybe a trip over w boots and bucket would a good idea. I’ve never really explored the high ground over there.  Paul

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 02:53:21 pm »
The Flint River is a good source of Coastal Plains chert. It is becoming more and more
protected especially around the Albany area.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 10:56:16 am »
Pat, there is a lower grade of Coastal plains near Savannah. Vinson Minor gets his from there.That's where he lives now.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 11:45:20 am »
I never looked for rock when I was in Savannah but just don't remember much of any kind around. Not doubting it, just never saw it.
 Vinson has lived in Savannah for quite a few years now. I haven't seen him in a long time.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 01:31:41 pm »
I just saw him at the Rendezvous. I joined the Florida Frontiersmen this year.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 04:51:49 pm »
Lots of interesting info here...
Hey Mullet, is Vinson still portraying a native
american? I believe the rock Vinson found was found by scuba diving, so it isn't easy to get. 

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline paulc

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 08:24:57 pm »
 )someone tell Vinson to hook me up! :-)  Only thing I've ever found around here is mud an sand .

Paul

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 05:26:37 am »
paulc, cook it up. That will show the cracks and in some cases split the rock where it is cracked. Save you some of spalling time. I found a rock source in New Mexico a few years ago with rock that looked very similar. I boxed some up and mailed it back to Mike Cook. He made some beautiful points out of that stuff.  Would love to stumble on to a spot like you did closed to home but Michigan has some pretty crappy rock.