Author Topic: Mountain man School Presentation  (Read 3680 times)

Offline BrianS

Mountain man School Presentation
« on: February 14, 2019, 03:12:52 pm »
I work at a School in the Maintenance department. Several years ago some of the Teachers found out about my hobby of historical reinactment and asked me to do some presentations for the kids. I have talked about and shown all sorts of skills and equipment of early colonial woodsmen all the way up to Western Mountain men. I have been asked this year to do something a bit different. They would like me to tie together a talk about western mountain men and their gear with a talk about how their tools in some ways could be considered art. Not traditional paintings and sculpture but things like bead and quill work. Powder horns. Clothing Hawks Knives Flintlocks Snowshoes and such. I accepted the opportunity to do the talk. I have some ideas on what I can show and discuss from my own gear. I am not a teacher and I could use some ideas and suggestions on what and how to present the idea that gear could also be considered art. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Brian

Offline Piddler

Re: Mountain man School Presentation
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 06:51:20 pm »
BrianS,
although I don't have any suggestions on the presentation I have to add this. When I was young in the boy scouts, one of the fathers came by on show and tell. He was showing a recurve bow. Although I don't remember the gist of the presentation I was transfixed and can still remember the string silencers as it was yesterday. In my opinion almost anything you put together will most definitely get the attention of the youngsters. Made my first bow a short while back and my grandson thought it was the coolest thing ever.
Good luck I'm sure it will be a hit.
Pidd01
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:43:54 pm »
I agree, a simple bend in the handle bow is an easy way to get recruits and fast to make while the interest is there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BrianS

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 08:06:27 pm »
Looking forward to this opportunity to show the kids some Mountain Man gear. Based on previous talks at the School, my guess is most if not all of the Kids, have never seen any of the gear, clothing etc. from that time period. Should be Fun.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 04:24:35 am »
I would just lay out a display of all your gear and talk about each idem , what it was made from and a little about how it was made and what it was used for, then let them ask questions, that is always fun. I have done some of this in the past for the scouts and 4H and one thing I found is kids love visual .Very cool you are doing this and i know most of the kids will love it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 05:51:47 am »
I still remember when my oldest son asked me to do a demonstration on trapping at his school. I set a 220 cona bear in a bucket. Asked if anyone knew what it was? Explained how it worked, kinda like a big mouse trap. Then I touched trigger wire with broom stick. No further explanation was needed. Kids and adults do like visuals. Especially ones that give a reaction.
Bjrogg
PS pretty sure most of those kids remember it to. They also all really liked tanned fur hides. Might kick me out of school and paint my truck pink now, but I'd still give it a try.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 07:07:31 am »
Brian, I have done quite a few knapping demo at schools , I always bring a striker and a pc of flint for a shower of sparks to show fire capability's, not sure if it's consider art, to me they are all functional tools , to some maybe art, all in the eye of the beholder. Bob

Offline BrianS

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 08:50:47 am »
Thanks to all for their suggestions. This what I have so far:
1. Explain who Western Fur Trappers (Mountain Men) were
2. Explain that art can be much more than just paintings in a Gallery. Here is the description I plan to use, Art is the expression of human creative skill and imagination
3. Show gear that fits that description / bows, arrows, bead and quill work, scrimshaw, trade silver, clothing etc.
I will post after I do the presentation and let everyone know how it went. I am doing it in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again for the help,
brian

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 08:50:58 am »
You can start off talking about how things were made out of necessity and later as they were owned longer and needs were met (boredom takes over) art began to take over. Wood burning, etching/scrimshawing, beading etc. Being a cultural demonstrator I get to do that a lot.

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 08:57:46 pm »
Mike Cook and I set up knapping displays at an Indian Information Center last fall for school kids to view. There several other presenters as well,black smiths, hut builders, re-enactors, net makers etc. We were scattered about the grounds and the kids went from station to station in groups of about 20.  Milke had a table set up with stone points and I had a table set up with stone knives. We also had other knapping tools and would show the kids how to make stone tools, knives and points.  Dang near every boy that came along tried to grab one of my knives and I had to explain they couldn't handle them.  They were so busy trying to get there hands on them that I could flint knap while they were around.

Moral of the story is that if you have a table display you may want to have someone with you to keep an eye on things while you do your presentation. 

Offline BrianS

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 06:17:40 am »
My Grandson was the same way when he was younger. Always wanting to touch things. I think most boys are that way for some reason. He would wear me out! Some of the items I do not mind the kids touching after being given my permission. They can't do anything to some of it that I have not done to it in the woods over the years. However your point about sharp items such as knives and hawks is very well taken. My bows will not be strung. The Teacher and the School Principle will be there to keep a eye on the kids. As you can probably tell, I am really looking forward to this opportunity to do this talk. 
Have a great weekend Everyone,
brian

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 08:12:56 am »
I've been asked to do two demos for the scouts, one on Turkey calling and one for archery. The one for archery we used light weight trad bows set up for the scouts to shoot. For the Turkey calling I had a few box calls they could try out and gave a little demo. I also did one on fly tying at a sportsman club for youth day and tied a nice Woolley Bugger for every kid that stopped by. It's nice if they can try or handle what your showing.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 07:03:12 am »
Well I finally did the presentation yesterday. It was a bunch of fun. Hopefully the kids learned a little. Here is a link to a video of me doing the Mountain Man presentation to the class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSrzp2D-5W4

Take care, brian

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 07:22:08 am »
Well I finally did the presentation yesterday. It was a bunch of fun. Hopefully the kids learned a little. Here is a link to a video of me doing the Mountain Man presentation to the class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSrzp2D-5W4

Take care, brian
I think you need to slow down a tad ;)
Thanks for posting.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 10:20:01 am »
That looks like the same gear my step mother runs in, bless her she's been great for my dad. glad everyone enjoyed it Brian. I did a presentation for our local conservation club's wild game diner this past weekend. I maybe should have been in that gear to. I ran a bit long. I didn't hear anyone snoring and nobody threw anything at me. I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did. did get a pretty big applause and a bunch of thank yous. I think its great you did the presentation Brian.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise