Author Topic: first time cane  (Read 3172 times)

WillMac

first time cane
« on: April 14, 2008, 11:49:21 pm »
 Hello everyone.

So I just got a hold of some river care today! I have been making arrows for a year or so, but never made arrows out of cane. How do I process it into a suitable shaft? What should I look for in the geometry of the cane that will make for a good arrow? What about straightening?

thanks for your help!

Will

Offline huntertrapper

Re: first time cane
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:07:43 am »
straightening, put the shaft over heat. and bend the kink out of the cane.... let someone else better describe it. :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 01:37:04 am »
If you've made arrows out of shoots, it's not a whole lot different than that. Straightening is slightly different. It is done in two passes, one to straighten the nodes, and the next, the 'internodes', or between the nodes, or vise-versa.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:33:31 am »
Cane is easy to work with once you get the hang of it. Good cane shafts start with being picky when you cut them-try to avoid ones with big flat offset divots above the nodes, the more space between nodes, the better. You want the first part of the culm between the ground and where the branches start. ut them to length, try to avoid having nodes under the  fletching area if possible. Then just heat it carefully until it starts to sweat and you can smell it, and gently straighten the bends. Cane almost turns to rubber when heated. I like to straighten all the areas between the nodes first, then straighten the nodes themselves. This keeps you from having to bend the nodes more than once-if you're gonna break it, it'll be at the nodes. Don't overheat, especially the nodes or it will become brittle and pop or fold. It's good to work on a couple shafts at a time or alternate from one end of the shaft to the other so that you don't unstraighten one area that's still warm while straightening another. With a little practice, you can straighten a shaft very quickly. After they are straight and cool, I like to work the nodes down flush with the shaft, then fine-tune the straightness. Be careful bending the nodes after you have smoothed them. Cut the nocks so that the nodes are toward the bow and cock feather.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:37:48 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:01:43 pm »
cane is arguably the best material ever for arras. dont screw em up! just kiddin. good luck friend.
lets just shoot it