Author Topic: Growing arrow shafts in pnw  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Dante_F

Growing arrow shafts in pnw
« on: February 16, 2019, 11:06:12 am »
hey everyone, i was wondering what would be best for arrows and if it could be grown in the pnw right now im thinking ocean spray because the plant looks nice so the neighbors wont want to kill it (or me ;D) and it takes what about 2 years to get to shaft size and it makes good tough hard-hitting arrows ive heard
so its either that hazel or bamboo im thinking. is this even a good idea though?

Offline DC

Re: Growing arrow shafts in pnw
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:19:26 am »
Red Osier Dogwood is good. There is also an ornamental called "Beauty Bush" (Kolkwitzia amabilis). It's a beautiful thing so your neighbors won't mind. It has nice  straight shoots. Takes a few years to get growing

https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,60454.msg843218.html#msg843218

I have a Hazel in my yard  but the shoots seem to have too much taper and I've been letting then grow to make bows. I planted a bamboo, I used " Fargesia scabrida", it's a clumping bamboo that is not supposed to spread. It started as a 2' clump and it's 4' across after about 5 years. Looks like it will make nice arrows though. Still, it's going to be a pain to dig it out if it keeps spreading. If I was to do it again I would use garden center bamboo stakes for bamboo arrows and not plant any bamboo anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:30:20 am by DC »

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 02:41:51 pm »
sounds good thanks for the info

Offline Scyth

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 03:54:38 pm »
. . . get yourself some charcoal seeds and

Voila

carbon shafts for arrows . . .

Actually I’m a search for the same thing: perhaps https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00PSFYMPG/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

regards,

Scyth
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:06:37 pm by Scyth »
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 04:51:52 pm »
Japanese Arrow Bamboo is a running/spreading bamboo. Unless you really like using a shovel and herbicides I would steer clear of it.
I do like your idea of growing CF arrows ;D ;D but I don't think it will work. I planted a bunch of stainless steel nuts when I was a kid and i still don't have a nut tree. ;) ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 06:41:46 pm »
Bambusa multiplex may grow there in a protected south facing area. It is a clump type(not spreading) bamboo with round, thick culms with a small center hole, no sulcus(indentation above the node), slight nodes and long(12"+) internodes. Generally 2 nodes to the arrow. The culms grow to about 15' long and also make good fishing poles and would probably be good for bamboo fly rods because of the thick walls.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 08:19:00 pm »
thanks guys for the info and suggestions, i think ill maybe go with the clumping bamboo and some ocean spray for maybe foreshafts.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 09:18:25 pm »
They grow, what I believe is river cane down along the coast as an ornamental plant. I like to bring some ever time I go down there. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,