Author Topic: Joinery  (Read 5021 times)

Offline DC

Re: Joinery
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 09:59:29 am »
I guess that's the way to do it :) :) although I'm giving serious thought to the way Marc suggested. I was hoping someone had a real clever solution. I was thinking that a guy could clamp/screw/glue the two pieces together somehow and then run the bandsaw along the join and keep doing this until the saw blade touched both sides all the way along that it might fit nicely. I think this has a bunch of problems that would have to be solved first and I'm not sure how nice the glue line would be.
Thanks for all the input :)

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 10:40:48 am »
I do it like Marc suggest too.  But sometimes the bend is too much or it's too much of a hassle to try and clamp it. 

Most of the FG guys use a pattern sander with a template.  I'm not stooping that low though... :)

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 10:42:43 am »
Here's the end result roughed out. I'm pretty pleased. :D

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 10:44:10 am »
That looks pretty darn good  :OK

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 10:48:26 am »
I do it like Marc suggest too.  But sometimes the bend is too much or it's too much of a hassle to try and clamp it. 

I'll bet a guy could quite easily put together a small version of one of those fire hose/air pressure clamps that would work real well in this situation.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 12:20:31 pm »
You could easily put together a fire hose clamping system but you would need some type of rigid form made for the bow other wise you would risk torquing the bow in different directions , here is simple solution for gluing up a multi lam riser you could glue up your lams you could put your stack centered on your bow with a Pressure strip on top use a single clamp in the center as you line up your riser lams lock them In place with zip ties wrapped  around  the riser & bow add clamps & cut the zip ties after all clamps are in place , Sorry Ben another lowly FG bowyer trick  :D
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline ohma2

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 12:33:43 pm »
Id say you worked that out just fine.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 12:58:37 pm »
You could easily put together a fire hose clamping system but you would need some type of rigid form made for the bow other wise you would risk torquing the bow in different directions , here is simple solution for gluing up a multi lam riser you could glue up your lams you could put your stack centered on your bow with a Pressure strip on top use a single clamp in the center as you line up your riser lams lock them In place with zip ties wrapped  around  the riser & bow add clamps & cut the zip ties after all clamps are in place , Sorry Ben another lowly FG bowyer trick  :D
If you were using something thin like veneer you wouldn't need a whole lot of pressure to push it together would you? Not enough to push a handle out of shape? I've never done air pressure clamping so I know nuthin' ;D

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 01:14:34 pm »
Don that's a whole different thread on clamping Presure there are a lot of different opinions on it but most use 40-75 PSI  when using epoxy but I don't think your lam thickness has much to do with it but if your talking veneer like .030 you would need a lot of lams to make a riser ? 40-70PSI doesn't sound like a lot of Pressure but could easily torque your combo out of place with out some type of rigid form or backing , I only put 31 PSI in my SUV tires but keeps a couple thousand pounds off the pavement the hose clamps put a lot of Pressure on the work !

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 04:27:47 pm »
I was thinking 10-15 psi would make veneer conform to just about any shape I would have on a bow. I wonder what PSI would be equal to a bunch of bike tube wraps. This is an Ocean Spray with an Ash veneer riser.I just wrapped it with bike tube.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 05:20:47 pm »
That's a real tight fit Don, well done!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 05:23:59 pm »
That's a good fit.  My method would just involve placing the pieces together and noting the high spots and reducing them.  This is one of those things that seems complex but after you do a couple it just becomes really easy.  Practice anything and you'll get OK at it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 05:24:47 pm »
thats great DC,, looks nice,,

Offline Sticks

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 06:41:39 pm »
The glue line looks good but all the rest of it is greek to me.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 02:21:53 am »
That's a good fit.  My method would just involve placing the pieces together and noting the high spots and reducing them.  This is one of those things that seems complex but after you do a couple it just becomes really easy.  Practice anything and you'll get OK at it.

I agree with Pat after a few they become intuitive Don I dont know on the 15 PSI you could lay the hose on the riser stack and wrap it with mule tape tape or you could make a backing peace mirror image of your riser and go with what ever presuere you want only one way to find out 😃
If your only going to 15psi dont invest in a fire hose you could just seal up a intertube cheap those lams look thicker then venere from the pic at 15 psi you might be able to wrap it with para cord ! Could make your whole clamping system for $5 👍🏻

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:48:21 am by Stick Bender »