Author Topic: Bamboo backed red oak bow  (Read 4137 times)

Offline Oleguy64

Bamboo backed red oak bow
« on: February 17, 2019, 02:57:25 pm »
I am making as my first bow a red oak bow in a pyramid style and was curious on everyones thoughts on backing it with bamboo. Im only shooting for a 30-35lb draw at 28 inches. Any input is greatly appreciated )P(

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Bamboo backed red oak bow
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 03:01:40 pm »
I have never done that,,, so I am guessing,, but I think it will work,, some of the guys with more exerience with bamboo ,, will chime in Im sure,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 03:04:56 pm »
If it were me...I'd either make a 35# selfbow or back it with hickory, hard maple or elm. A lot of work goes into boo backings so I'd save the boo for a piece of osage or ipe...but that's just me.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Oleguy64

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 04:00:16 pm »
I was thinking boo as I have a pretty limitless supply in my yard!!  Im from central FL. and it grows all over around here.  Also want to make a couple of staves from australian pine and carrotwood. First though I think I do want to try the bamboo backing to see just how involved it is,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 04:17:47 pm »
If you have an unlimited supply, go for it.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 05:19:28 pm »
Not to be a downer but mating a high tenion wood/grass like bamboo and a low compression wood red oak may be somewhat unbalanced and the belly may give in to compression fractures/fretts.i would make it at least ,68" long with the bamboo thinned down as much as possible within reason.good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 06:39:53 pm »
I did it once at 72” and 50# @ 28”. Fretting was terrible. The oak can’t stand the compression. I tore it apart and salvaged the boo.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 09:27:02 pm »
I did one once although it wasn’t a Pyramid. The limbs wound up with a lot of set. More so than other red oak bows I have made. It didn’t shoot as well as others but that could very well have more to do with me and my ability than anything. It will be a good learning experience at the very least!
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 07:45:49 am »
my thoughts would be the boo would over power the red oak... hickory a better option to back with.. use boo on ipe or osage... imo.. gut

Offline Oleguy64

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 07:00:45 am »
I really appreciate all the input on this build. I think I am going to yield to experience and knowledge and try a silk backing on the red oak for now. Due to some injuries when I was younger I have a very hard time bringing a bow to full draw if its over 30-35 lbs.  Im hoping as I build and shoot more the bow weight will increase with my ability  (--) (SH)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 07:16:13 am »
A friend and great bow maker backs ERC with bamboo without problems, if ERC can take it I suspect red oak can as well.

I looked through my log book to see if I had made a bamboo backed oak bow and as near as I can tell I haven't so my opinion is purely speculation.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 10:50:02 am »
   I used to worry about matching tension strong woods with compression strong woods etc. Now I feel like you can use bamboo to back anything. I also use a lot of woods like red oak and maple for backing things like ipe.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 11:39:58 am »
just try it,, I am curious now,,, to see how it works,,  (f)

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 01:32:06 pm »
   I used to worry about matching tension strong woods with compression strong woods etc. Now I feel like you can use bamboo to back anything. I also use a lot of woods like red oak and maple for backing things like ipe.

Badger,
                Your using red oak, or white oak?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline barebo

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 02:31:08 pm »
There is a youtube video of a guy talking about and shooting his bamboo backed red oak bow. He claims it shoots with authority and seems pretty happy with it.