Author Topic: Bamboo backed red oak bow  (Read 4138 times)

Offline Oleguy64

Re: Bamboo backed red oak bow
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 06:17:57 pm »
It is red oak. I have some white oak for future projects but currently im using red.  Hmmmm. decisions decisions!!!  just when i talked myself out of the boo backing.  I think this bow is getting the silk, but I am going for boo on the next one. I will post pics when I finish it.  Any advice on processing the bamboo for backing will be appreciated. It is probably 3 to 4'' in diameter and reasonably straight. :-K

Offline Traxx

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 06:52:23 pm »
Trap the Boo...

Offline Oleguy64

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 06:12:40 am »
im somewhat familiar with trapping a bow as in making the back narrower than the belly. (correct?) But how do I trap the boo if im using it as a backing?  Sorry, new guy!!! :o :o :o

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 11:21:35 pm »
Either before you apply it or after its glued,the same as you would the back of your self bow..Either the older members on here have forgotten,and newer members dont know,that Manny Pedrini,used to make Boo backed red oak bows and he trapped the boo and was happy with them..He also used Boo more narrow than the backs surface and created a crown,on the back...said they were strips from window shades.... Another Member{cant recall his handle}used to trap the back of Red Oak self bows by as much as 60% and said it helped eliminate the string follow associated with traditional styles,without way over building them...

Offline Oleguy64

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 05:46:14 am »
Ok, now I understand. Appreciate the quick lesson. Using bamboo shade strips is a very cool trick.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 09:32:47 am »
That's cool,,.about the strip of window shade,,,