Author Topic: CWD cure  (Read 5431 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

CWD cure
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:49:36 am »
I can't link the video but can link the thread on the Stickbow the cure announcement video is on.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=307722&messages=26&CATEGORY=9#4564281

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: CWD cure
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:18:03 am »
I watched it this  morning Eric. Very interesting. Sure hope their right.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:00:57 am »
Turns out the video is highly edited to make it sound like these folk have found a cure. They are looking for a grant and over emphasized their "findings" to hopefully get funded.  There is no cure in the works at this time.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 07:03:17 am »
I'm pretty sure even if they do have a cure, it will take much longer than they are saying just to get EPA approval. Not to mention environmental survey studies and public comments period. Stuff like this even if a true miracle cure takes lots of time to be properly tested. I know a lot of people think the Chemical and drug companies just put stuff on the market but that's not how it works. It takes years and years of very expensive testing. Many products never get tested because of the cost and expected demand for products. I hope they are right and it is a miracle cure, but I'm not holding my breath.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 02:54:16 pm »
At this time there is no cure. There is only efforts to curb the spread and the ONLY thing that will curb the spread is THE ONE AND ONLY THING OFFICIALS AND HUNTERS WILL NOT DO!

The deer population needs to be knocked back by 80% or more everywhere. Without having a population wrecking event, deer to deer contact will continue to spread the disease. Reducing populations until such time that deer contact with others of their own kind is rare, the disease will just continue to spread until such time as a natural crash wipes them out.

But you think your state game agency will tolerate that? You think the hunters will tolerate that? Nope, didn't think so. So just sit back and wait for a near extinction event deals with it for you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 04:06:13 pm »
Do we know if any deer have a natural immunity? If so, maybe letting mom nature take care of it is the way to go. It might hurt but you'd have a healthier population. If they do find a cure chances are it will be an oral vaccine that would have to be administered to the deer population for the rest of time. You would never be confident that your venison was safe. It's a tough call.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 07:08:43 pm »
Do we know if any deer have a natural immunity? If so, maybe letting mom nature take care of it is the way to go. It might hurt but you'd have a healthier population. If they do find a cure chances are it will be an oral vaccine that would have to be administered to the deer population for the rest of time. You would never be confident that your venison was safe. It's a tough call.

There is no immunity because the immune system is never involved in the deal. This is from a protein called a prion that is transmitted. Vaccines won't work either. It operates, in some ways, more like a poison or toxin in the environment.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 08:23:05 am »
Not good, guess we'll have to learn to hunt pork

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 09:44:45 am »
I attended a meeting sponsored by our state department of Game and Fish last night.  According to the #1 state biologist, there are no studies that can replicate the "results" stated in the video posted by the Pennsylvania sportsmens organization.

I kill deer every year in one of the counties that has the highest rates of CWD in the region.  Taking care to observe any prospective meat candidate, I have not had any animal that I have killed tested to date.  Gambling?  Possibly but I'll take my chances.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 09:50:31 am »
What happens if you eat the meat? Is the meat going to be repulsive? How would you know its infected?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 10:55:20 am »
look here

http://cwd-info.org/faq/

P.S. Sorry if this link isn't ok on PA just PM me and Ill take it off
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.