Author Topic: Dress from Dances With Wolves  (Read 7402 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Dress from Dances With Wolves
« on: February 19, 2019, 09:26:14 am »
N-flix finally has Dances With Wolves.   I haven't seen that movie in a really long time.  In fact , last time I watched it,  was a VHS copy on a 32" tube TV.

So no wonder I didn't really notice it till now, that the dress that Stands With A Fist wears is decorated with a bunch of elk ivories. I just thought they were some kind of seashell. 

I really appreciate the props and costumes a lot more now that I've dabbled with primitive arts.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Dress from Dances With Wolves
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:28:54 am »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 11:42:29 am »
I haven't seen that movie in a long time also. Need to see it again and pay more attention to the details.
 I saw a dress in the Museum Of The Native Americans in Washington a few years back. It had so many elk ivories on it I bet it weight 50#+. It looked way cool but I bet it was an uncomfortable dress to wear.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 05:57:55 pm »
There was a shop in Gatlinburg owned by the late Polly Bergen that had a lot of the dances with wolves props and costumes in it, lots of bows and arrows.

One dress from the movie had hundreds of tiny bells on it made supposedly from tobacco can pieces.

I remember the war shirt on the right was in the shop, I don't remember what it was priced at but I believe is was several thousand dollars, a lot of money 25 or so years ago.

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:56:24 am »
I had the privilege of working with Spotted Horse reproductions, (John Arrasmith), one of the production companies supplying a lot of "stuff" for the movie. John called me up and asked me if I would make a few iron arrowheads for him. He said he had a contract to supply "stuff" for a new movie going into production. At the time we did not even know the name of it. I said sure, how many do you want. He said how about 3000+ of them. You can guess there was a pregnant pause for a while. I said  “your kidding.” Well the short of this is I worked for GE at the time. My friend worked in a small machine shop in Bristol Ct. He agreed to make a punch and die and the owner donated a coil of iron and one night I punched out about 3000 of them. I also punched out 5 Sterling silver heads and John made the arrows and gave one each to Kevin Costner, Mary McDonnell, Graham Green, and Wes Studi. He sent the last one back to me and I still have it. You can see some of the heads in the photo. If anyone wants one just Email me your address and I will send you one. The arrow you see Kevin pull out of the body on the plains has a head "well" corroded. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:24:29 am by rebsr52339 »
REB

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 08:39:42 am »
Just Cool Reb!

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 09:28:18 am »
Thank you Ben. There were several businesses involved in making that movie as you might guess. John said that no one supplier could possibly make and supply all the costumes and accoutrement's for such an undertaking in the time they wanted it. Kinda neat thou. My wife exclaims each time we watch the movie, "Well there is one of your damn arrowheads". She is funny.
REB

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 09:38:31 am »
Rev,
PM sent.  A near story and a generous offer!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 10:30:46 am »
Jerry, its in the mail box and will go out tomorrow. Enjoy.
REB

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 10:33:24 am »
BTW Dieselcheese, I did not intend to hijack your thread. Sorry about that.  :-[
REB

Offline Mounter

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 03:54:14 pm »
Love that movie. I watch the dvd every few months in my shop.

I’ve got about two dozen elk ivory’s and a few red stag, always thought about making my wife a dress like that.... but first I’d need a bunch of buckskin, then I doubt she’d ever wear it. Lol...

I’d love one of those heads reb, got lots of stuff to trade...

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 05:58:23 pm »
Changing the subject a bit but what kind of feathers do they have in their head dresses?

I found it, they are Golden Eagle tail feathers. Found a great site Google "feather identification"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:11:17 pm by DC »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 09:04:21 pm »
I have a few of those trade points and you gave them to me, Dick. I didn't recognize your handle.   :OK
Welcome back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 04:20:45 am »
Thank you Pat. Been a while. Long recovery, natural, from a LH injury, ouch.  :'(  Maybe go out to Pappy's this year. Lots on my plate with the BSofA and long range shooting. Tough being retired. No time to do ANYTHING. Later
REB

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 04:29:07 am »
I’ve got about two dozen elk ivory’s and a few red stag, always thought about making my wife a dress like that.... but first I’d need a bunch of buckskin, then I doubt she’d ever wear it. Lol...

Mounter, I made an elk skin dress for my wife with a "bunch" of the "cowrie" shells on it besides the quills and beading. She claims she gains 25#s when she puts it on. She is still funny. Love her to death.
REB