Author Topic: Dress from Dances With Wolves  (Read 7399 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Dress from Dances With Wolves
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 07:35:24 am »
Because it is illegal to own eagle feathers I suspect the headdress feathers are white turkey feathers dyed to look authentic. The could be real because NAs can own them but I doubt if Mr Green would subject real feather to the rigors of movie filming.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 09:51:44 am »
Eric- I was pretty sure they were eagle(or imitation eagle) but I keep seeing pictures like that with the white and black feathers and I knew Bald Eagles didn't have feathers like that. The only pictures I had seen that looked like they might be close were from a Sea Eagle and I was pretty sure the native people didn't have access to them. I thought Golden Eagles were brownish all over so I was stuck as to what kind of Eagle feathers they were using. A quick search on the Feather ID site sorted me out. We don't have many Golden Eagles here, they are rare on the coast, so I didn't really know what they looked like.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 10:18:21 pm »
I’ve got about two dozen elk ivory’s and a few red stag, always thought about making my wife a dress like that.... but first I’d need a bunch of buckskin, then I doubt she’d ever wear it. Lol...

Mounter, I made an elk skin dress for my wife with a "bunch" of the "cowrie" shells on it besides the quills and beading. She claims she gains 25#s when she puts it on. She is still funny. Love her to death.

That’s cool Reb, and thank you. Your a genorus man!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:24:46 pm by Mounter »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 06:20:55 am »
Great movie. Interesting thread. Cool stories. I've got some hides and furs I need some inspiration for
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 10:27:36 am »
Somewhere down in the basement bookshelves I have a book on the making of the movie. Guess I'd better go look for it...
And Thanks to Reb. A generous man indeed.  :OK

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 07:32:30 pm »
Thanks reb. My wife was thrilled. She called me at work.  I Was to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 10:09:18 pm »
Got mine and Little Fiddle Woman (Jacie) wants to copy the pattern for necklaces and earrings!  They might make a nice Turkey point, but a bit too narrow for big game here in Colorado!  Good wall hangers, though, hope to make a plaque.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 08:00:58 am »
All of you are most welcomed.  ;D  Sometimes the small things we do for each other have a lasting impression. Enjoy them.
REB

Offline wolf001

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2021, 10:03:10 pm »
My wife and I watched this movie. Great plot, beautiful costumes. I was amused that I might give my wife such a dress decorated with elk ivory, though I don't think it's the most ingenious idea. In the 21st century, which elk ivories are we talking about? I think she would throw that dress in my head. She is a fan of a more formal and conservative style; she would not experiment. She is the one who ordered a Prayer Dress last week, which she said, she would wear when to church.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 07:02:16 pm »
So when you do watch the movie, watch for one of the initial scenes where the corpsman is pouring the cup of coffee at the fire for Kevin Costner's character. That's my buddy, Jim. If you know where to look, you will see him time and time again in the film. He's now done 4 projects with Costner including the recent prequel to the Yellowstone series.

Someone mentioned that no one props company could turn out what they needed for the film, and that's the truth. Almost anyone that could make a decent reproduction arrow was called on to make arrows for the movie. I have several of the broken off arrows that were used when Oliver Platt's character was pincushioned with arrows while he writhed on the ground. By the way, he was really in serious agony for the filming of that scene because he had unknowingly laid down on a nest of red ants and they were biting the crap out of him. When Costner yelled "CUT", Platt lept to his feet and started shucking out of his clothes and beating at his body to get the ants off. When asked why he didn't say something, Platt replied, "I used it to make the scene work."  Freaking method actors!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2021, 11:07:58 pm »
So much awesomeness in that post, JW
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-