Author Topic: Steam for straightening red osier?  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Steam for straightening red osier?
« on: February 19, 2019, 09:46:19 am »
Is it feasible to use steam to straighten red osier?  Also maybe try to rehydrate them somewhat?  Or just cut another bunch and do the. Curing right this time >:D (lol)!  Thanks!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

Re: Steam for straightening red osier?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:50:30 am »
Dry heat doesn't work?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 11:36:52 am »
I like well cured shoots, red osier, viburnum, sourwood and others to make arrows from. I've always used dry heat, our gas cook stove to straighten them, temper them and scorch them for decoration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 11:03:46 pm »
I must not be getting the heat to the right level. Some straighten well and some don’t!
A couple broke during the process, but that may be part of the learning!  I’ll keep
trying!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 06:00:14 am »
You could add veg oil to help scorching while straightening. Like with bow wood I think it helps hold the heat and distribute it evenly.
 Also, are you allowing the shoots to cool between straightening sessions?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 10:06:32 am »
I've been rubbing them down with beef tallow, using the kitchen stove on low-medium heat, trying to work one section at a time, and cooling completely before reheating.  I re apply tallow each session.  Most of the shafts are sized to 3/8" and grooved before straightening.  I am going to try to get them hotter before working them during the next session.  Got plenty of dowells for trivets and maybe footers! >:D.  Might try to make an internal splice and sinew wrap it just to see if it works!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:10:07 am »
Anything you do in the middle of the shaft will stiffen it considerably.
 You might be trying too hard.  ;D  Don't you remember...even a caveman can do it.  (lol)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 04:10:01 pm »
Therein lies the problem! (lol).  Too many smarts or I think too much!  I think this whole bow thing was started by some cave kid playing with a stick and a piece of rawhide or sinew >:D!  I'll work on the heat angle some more and keep trying!  Maybe straighten from the ends to the middle!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 06:59:34 am »
I usually heat it about like bow wood, not so hot I can't touch it but hot enough that I know I know I don't want to hold on to it, if that make sense.  :) Also I always start with the worst spots first the work on the smaller ones last. I try to get it pretty straight and then just tweak it until I get it like I want it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 09:33:02 am »
You are not building carbon arrows. They don't have to be laser straight to shoot well.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:35:41 am »
I use an alcohol lamp that heats a small spot at a time.  I count to 12 while moving the Osier to keep it from browning.  For a tight bend don't move it a lot.  For a gentle curve move back and forth the whole length while counting.  Gentle bends can be straightened over the thigh.  Tighter bends need an arrow wrench.  Since I usually do this at my workbench, a 2X4 with a few holes drilled through it and clamped in a vise works fine.  Red Osier usually takes 3 days to straighten.  First day do the worst bends and then set aside.  Next day do the worst bends and set aside.  Finish up the bends on the last day.  Patience rules.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 09:43:34 am »
Keep patience at the top of the list!  I am pretty sure I'm not getting the heat even and not applying pressure correctly!  Luckily, I have plenty of shoots!   Any body need a Trivet, or a nifty osier arrowhead box? >:D
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 10:24:05 pm »
Funny, I have red osier growing all over here and when I cut a dozen I put them over by the forge green. next time I start the forge up I straighten shafts while waiting for steel to heat. The heat coming out of the forge works well and it's a DRY heat. I straighten green, bundle tightly and dry them. Then go through and straighten again after they are dry.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 12:24:13 am »
Aha!  Maybe I need a forge or a similar device!  I've sort of back burnered everything except trying to get ready to sell the house and relocate!  We did manage to shoot a few arrows last week, though!  I'm even at the point of taking down my bow bench and reloading table!  That is real serious!  The house is listed and on Zillow, hopefully, we get some interest quickly!  Put a contract on the place we want in western Nebraska.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 10:55:17 am »
When I have some shafts to straighten I wait until I'm heat treating a bow. I hold the heat gun in a jig so my hands are free. Stick the shaft between the gun and the bow and straighten away. Sure helps kill the time while heat treating.