Author Topic: Question on what sealant to use on sinew  (Read 1112 times)

Offline mauritz@orania.co.za

Question on what sealant to use on sinew
« on: February 18, 2019, 08:30:02 pm »
Good day. New to this forum. I'm busy building a hickory bow. Backed it with sinew. What would you suggest for sealing the bow and the sinew backing?

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Question on what sealant to use on sinew
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 06:47:35 am »
The only time I didn't cover the sinew with snakeskins, then poly, I just used the poly directly on the sinew...after it had dried for months and been smoothed.  I actually stained it between sanding and sealing, but let it dry again after staining.  The good thing about spray can poly is that you can easily apply more later on, or you can rub on a little car wax or bear grease/beeswax.  No matter what you use, covering the sinew with snake or rawhide before sealing works best I think.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:03:38 am »
if you live in a humid area you are wasting your time with sinew and hickory..not a good combo..hickory is very hydroscoptic and absorbs moisture..needs to be below 12 % ideally around 8-9 to not take set too bad... sinewing hickory is adding the moisture back in wood will take much longer to cure.... with that said.. however in a dry climate.. you will be ok... gut

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:04:52 am »
sorry back to question.. I usually use snakeskins but have spar varethene satin helsman.. and it turned out quite nice..looks like muscle on the back..gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:17:09 am »
I also cover with snake skins but have sealed with TBIII and Tru-Oil over that or just Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mauritz@orania.co.za

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 02:10:44 am »
Thanks for all the advice. Just a question? The bow needs to have a relatively light draw weight - between 35# and 40#, with draw length 24". If I put rawhide on it (due to availability issues with snake skin), won't it make the bow sluggish?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 11:46:04 am »
no it will not make the bow sluggish