Author Topic: Twit  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Twit
« on: February 21, 2019, 01:24:48 pm »
Some people. 

I go an email from this guy last week by the name of Zayne Ritz that was looking for an Osage bow.  I told him that I wasn't making any custom bows anymore but said that I did have several bows on hand and to give me some specifics.  He came back with short and fast.  Well that didn't tell me anything so I told him that what I needed was draw weight, draw length and left or right.  He then messaged me and said nevermind along with an unflattering expletive.

I suspect young and full of himself
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Twit
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 01:26:50 pm »
no patience.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 02:55:08 pm »
His name is enough to put anyone off  >:(
Sounds like he needs the corners knocked off him.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:33:49 pm »
He just lost out on a really nice bow from a very generous and talented bowyer. His loss Marc. Obviously doesn't have a clue.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 04:50:54 am »
Some people just don't get it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 06:05:27 am »
He had probably never shot a stickbow in his life and was just enamored with the idea.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:37:56 am »
Whoa dude! You mean I have to know stuff just to order it ??? ??? ??? Too complicated for me, man ::)

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:48:21 am »
I mean, I can see why you need the draw length and weight, but how can you ask someone to commit to something like right or left handed?  Just too many "rules", man...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 06:10:52 pm »
I've had to deal with a few guys like that over the years and I certainly don't miss them and they are people that don't deserve a custom made bow. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 07:01:41 pm »
To me handmade bows are like puppies. You dont just give them to anybody that wants one, you get protective and discerning. Some people don't deserve a puppy :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 12:09:59 am »
+2, Pearl!  Also agree with Del!  Btw, Twit is Canadian and British for a$$h**e!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 07:45:18 am »
My biggest disappointment as a bowyer was when a guy, last name Baker from Birmingham, ordered a bow from me. The first one I made broke, the next came in under poundage and the third was as good a bow as I ever made.

I sent him an email that his bow was ready, no answer, more emails, no answers. I looked up his phone number and called, no answer, another call, no answer.

I kept calling and he finally answered, in a curt voice he said "I have a lot going on and am not interested in the bow anymore" and hung up.

I had a month of work in making him a wonderful bow, he could have let me know he wasn't interested a month earlier and I would have been OK with that but he didn't.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 10:11:34 am »
These are the reasons my bow building for others came to a end, you can take what I got (anymore completed bows as a gift) or you get nothing. Peoples expectations override reality, especially those that come from the glass world, no offense to glass lovers. I have had people demand the rest be on the WRONG side, completed it, the two months later want a new bow with the rest on the appropriate side...…...for free! Nope!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 11:52:04 am »
Fretting over this kind of stuff is why most of the bows I've made are still leaning against the wall. I did sell one. The guy wanted a left handed bow for his son, didn't care whether it was glass or wood. He couldn't find one. That struck me as odd but I'd never bought bow so what did I know. I said I'd make him one. I'd given a few other kids at the range bows so I said it would be free. He insisted that I take something. I just ignored his offers and made the bow. When it came time to hand over the bow he handed me $300. Well I have a rule, if someone offers to buy me a dinner or a drink or something I will refuse three times. If they still insist they obviously need the money less than me. He took the bow, I took the money and shortly after that they left town. Never heard from them again. I still feel quilty and if a tall left handed fellow ever approaches me and says his bow broke, I'll make him another. Selling stuff is just too stressful.

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 01:59:49 pm »
Pearl gifted my wife one of his bows and if you try and take it from her that little pollack would beat the crap out of you. She has maybe 10 recurves and longbows and uses the only pearl bow she owns. And she shoots lights out with it. (R