Author Topic: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 108663 times)

Offline Mafort

Re: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2019, 11:14:00 am »
Well I’m sorry I haven’t been on much. Works been crazy busy. Finally got to sit down and work on 2 Osage staves and a short cherry stave. I’m goin to sinew back the cherry but due to where my recipient is I don’t think a sinew backed bow is practical.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2019, 08:58:41 am »
I got a white silk backed black cherry looking pretty good. But is pulling about 5 pounds under the lower weight. So it’ll be held back as a secondary bow. It shot pretty good and is low mass for being 2” wide. I made it in a hollow limb wide a ridged fade. It aughta finish out real pretty. Just don’t know what I want to put on a tip overlays. Some cot horn might look good.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2019, 10:28:24 am »
Hey Kyle, I'd love to see a photo of it  ;)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2019, 05:12:33 pm »
I’ll try to get some pictures of it braced and on the tree tomorrow. But this should get a rough idea of it.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2019, 02:06:01 pm »
sweet!

Offline M2A

« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2019, 08:06:17 pm »
That 2 tone cherry is gonna look sharp  (-P

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2019, 06:52:34 am »
I like the look of that cherry Kyle. 

Here's plan A.  Live oak with swirly grain.  Never made a bow from it yet, so this should be a nice challenge  :OK.  This stuff is tough as nails. 

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2019, 08:42:16 am »
Ben, I have heard that live oak is very tough stuff.  Hope your tools are sharp!  Good luck.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2019, 08:47:29 am »
Well I had some time to go through this entire thread to kind of do an audit and verify participation.  I am very happy to report that everyone signed up has been contributing to the thread and posting some progress on their bows. There are even some bows mostly completed already.  Keep up the great work everyone!

FYI, I am keeping a few statistics that will result in some giveaways.  I am not telling anyone what these categories are so make sure and keep posting all of your progress so you have a chance at these giveaways! 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2019, 09:54:15 am »
Glad to hear that Swampman. I keep looking from time to time. Good idea with the rewards give always.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swampman

« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2019, 08:27:39 pm »
I started tillering one of my black locust staves tonight.  I got both limbs mostly even.  The picture below distorted the bend a bit so it doesn't look even.  The limbs are much closer than they appear in the photo.  After this picture was taken I gave the stave a heat treatment and took some twist out of one limb.

The next step will be to put tip overlays and then final tillering.

Offline M2A

« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2019, 08:04:50 pm »
Wanted to hold off till i got a bit more done on what i been working on but I got time now so here goes. Got stain on the black locust bow. Boiled walnut hulls and a bloodroot/alcohol  stain make up the colors. The picture doesn't show the bloodroot well, would show up better if the sun was out but been planting a new orchard at work so if the suns shining and the ground is dry enough we been sticking trees in the ground. Really liking how this one is turning out. Going to hold of on the last few details on it while I work on the red elm bow. Got the elm braced at 5 inches and evened things out a bit last weekend. Thought i'd have more time to work on it this week but didn't. Have it back to about 20 inches in the picture. Looks like I'm too high on the string....Was just a "see how things look pic". Hope to put a small amount of reflex in the outer 6 inches then I can narrow up the nocks and get them outters working better. It's a work in progress. 

IMG_2643 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2645 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr   

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2019, 12:41:55 pm »
    Ben, are you making a bendy out of that Live Oak? We have a ton of that here in S.C. It is bullet proof and nearly indestructible...
    Mike, I'm liking that paint on the Black Locust man!
    Swampman nice looking start...

Enjoying this thread fella's, a bunch of fine work from everyone...
                                                                                                     Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2019, 12:57:10 pm »
Swampman, from what I can see it looks fairly balanced in the pic. 

Cool natural stain job Mike  :OK

Don, you are the only one I've seen who has made a bow from Live Oak.  I'll take any and all advice you have to offer. 
I'm going to try and let the stave tell me what it wants to be, but my gut is leaning towards a bendy. 
It's all around me too, but most of it is either prized in someone's front yard, or it's twisted up like a barber's pole in the woods.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2019, 01:31:35 pm »
     Ben, A good heat tempering on the belly will help reduce string follow on Live Oak...Your stave shows some twist but you can heat that out later...Do you have a caul?
                                                                Don
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:01:25 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;