Author Topic: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 108293 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2019, 05:07:52 am »
  Looking good guy's !  I'm joining bow trade next time, seems I'm missing out on all the fun...
                                                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2019, 07:27:01 am »
Pics later but i have now sent about 50 arrows down range.  Speed is decent but not super.  I put 3 more intact steer back tendons over the middle of the bow Sunday ending them about 12”’ from the tips to add some zip. I remember John Strunk talking about moving sinew out further from the neutral plain (i think over cotton) which increases leverage as i understand the physics. I’ve been experimenting with some minor attempts at that and the results seem encouraging. I have an Osage shorty with sinew over linen set in PVA and its a rocket so i did that here but this one is just more sinew over sinew.   More to come but preliminary floor bending looks pretty encouraging. I’ll see how  cast and draw weight has changed in a few days.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2019, 12:19:46 pm »
Here’s where I ended up with the black cherry. It’s pulling 45# at draw length. I’m pretty sure the lower limb is a bit too stiff. But it shoots pretty well, a buddy and I spent a few hours one evening shooting and put about 100-150 arrows through it. What do you all think? It’s 2” to mid limb, then has double angles leading into 1/2” nocks. Initial angle lead straight to 1” tips then I recut from 10” from the nocks to angle into 1/2”.

Kyle

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2019, 12:40:37 pm »
Dang! Looking good.
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2019, 01:07:02 pm »
I like it.

I’d heat treat that top limb only and I bet it will be perfect. It’s good as is but agree with your observation and I’m guessing you don’t want to give up any draw weight.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2019, 01:32:20 pm »
I like it.

I’d heat treat that top limb only and I bet it will be perfect. It’s good as is but agree with your observation and I’m guessing you don’t want to give up any draw weight.

Good suggestion hoosierf.  I was going to suggest taking some off the bottom, but that would reduce the weight. 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2019, 05:58:33 pm »
      I think Kyle's bow is silk backed, heat may not be a good idea...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2019, 06:17:21 pm »
It is silk backed. I’d thought about just heating the upper limb as well. But had that idea and that it’s blackcherry, so typically fails in tension anyway. I may have to drop it to a 40# draw to get things right with it. Good thing ive got a back up and a pile of staves ready to go.

Kyle

Offline Mafort

« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2019, 06:21:31 pm »
My phone will not post pictures no matter how much I edit or try so I am working on a couple different ones. Osage and a hickory shorty that I plan on either sinew backing ( yea I know I know not a smart thing to do but hey) or flax backing. The Osage is long enough that I should be ok with it and I’m hoping I did a good enough job with the growth ring.... I guess I’ll know when I get it on the filleting tree.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2019, 06:37:56 pm »
Looks like some great progress is being made.  There are some nice looking bows being built.  I have my black locust tillered out and need to shoot it in.  I am dealing with a shoulder problem so I can only shoot about 10 shots a day right now.  It will take me a while to shoot it in.  I have several other projects i am working on in the meantime.  I will snap some pictures soon.

Mafort, if you want to send me pictures to my phone, I could post them for you.  Just send me a pm if you want me too and I will give you my number.

Mike

Offline M2A

« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2019, 04:49:43 am »
I bet that cherry would pretty up real well Kyle. From what I can see I'd have to agree about the tiller. I think 2 lbs off that bottom limb would make things look even in a f/d pic, if thats the right thing to do or not.....If it shoots well maybe its where it needs to be. I dont mind a slightly stiffer lower limb, makes for a nice release imo. You could always pike limbs  maybe .5" each to bring weight back up. If it was me I would not do that, instead I'd be pleased with say a  43-45# bow that shoots well.               

Offline Mafort

« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2019, 09:54:53 am »
Looks like some great progress is being made.  There are some nice looking bows being built.  I have my black locust tillered out and need to shoot it in.  I am dealing with a shoulder problem so I can only shoot about 10 shots a day right now.  It will take me a while to shoot it in.  I have several other projects i am working on in the meantime.  I will snap some pictures soon.

Mafort, if you want to send me pictures to my phone, I could post them for you.  Just send me a pm if you want me too and I will give you my number.

Mike

I would like that if it’s no issue with ya. My phone is just down right weird sometimes

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2019, 07:02:57 am »
I got a little time to reduce this live oak closer to rough out.  I did my best to chase a ring but it's almost impossible as there's no defined early and late growth with this diffuse porous wood.  Hopefully it can handle some violations.  I'm assuming it can with the interlocking grain.
A little snakey and it has some propeller twist. 
I'm going start plan B too, just in case this doesn't go as planned. 

Offline bushboy

« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2019, 06:33:41 pm »
Finally getting my butt in gear.plan A ,bamboo backed yellow heart 5 curve.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2019, 08:27:00 pm »
  Ben,
           That's about as nice of a stave as you can get with Live Oak around here...That one is slightly twisted, most should come out...I like it so far buddy, nice character...That interlocking grain in one tough customer...
                                                                                        Don