Author Topic: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 110523 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2019, 03:30:09 pm »
Got out in shop and got some work done on this vine maple bow. I haven’t done too many character bows so this has been a little challenge. I have tried only relying on the measurements and feel and not the look. This may not be a lot of character for some out there, but it’s a challenge for me.
Eric

Offline sleek

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2019, 03:34:20 pm »
Right limb looks good. Left limb is hinging out the fade at that bumb which is playing tricks on your eyes. You need to tiller on the left limb out past that to get it aroumd, its not bending at all.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Woodely

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2019, 04:07:59 pm »
Those hinges can be nasty Gremlins.   Just go slow you'll get 'er
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2019, 06:43:05 pm »
It’s definitly not a hinge, I’ve been slowly taking it down, and right now it’s thicker than everything else. The left limb is the one that’s kicking my butt, since it is slightly reflexing, so looks so stiff, but it’s tapered nicely. I’ve been using a dial caliper to take measurements every 2 inches to make sure it has a good taper.
Eric

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2019, 07:16:43 pm »
Took down the left limb a little more and got the outer limbs moving a bit more like you said sleek. It looks better. I second guessed myself about it being a hinge, so I took some close ups of the left bump unstrung , and at 3/4 draw, and it’s just barely bending. I place a flat stick on the back, and drew it in the tiller tree to see the projection, something DC had mentioned before,  and it bending the same as the rest of the limb
Almost to full draw. Shot some arrows through it and it shoots smooth with no hand shock, so I guess that’s a good sign.
Eric

Offline sleek

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2019, 07:18:10 pm »
It’s definitly not a hinge, I’ve been slowly taking it down, and right now it’s thicker than everything else. The left limb is the one that’s kicking my butt, since it is slightly reflexing, so looks so stiff, but it’s tapered nicely. I’ve been using a dial caliper to take measurements every 2 inches to make sure it has a good taper.
You should know that kinks like that are at a disadvantage because the angle of leverage changes when the wood changes angle. So it may be thicker, but can still bend more. Basically, ny part of a limb that is a deflex will bend lots more. Just something to keep an eye on.

Offline sleek

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2019, 07:19:01 pm »
Took down the left limb a little more and got the outer limbs moving a bit more like you said sleek. It looks better. I second guessed myself about it being a hinge, so I took some close ups of the left bump unstrung , and at 3/4 draw, and it’s just barely bending. I place a flat stick on the back, and drew it in the tiller tree to see the projection, something DC had mentioned before,  and it bending the same as the rest of the limb
Almost to full draw. Shot some arrows through it and it shoots smooth with no hand shock, so I guess that’s a good sign.

I have been wrong before however.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2019, 07:46:25 pm »
Thanks for the input sleek, I’m new to character staves, and I knew from the beginning that those two bumps were going to get to me.
Eric

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2019, 03:12:21 am »
It’s looking ptettt good to me. If set is minimal and where it should be, it draws smooth and balanced and shoots quiet and soft in the hand. You did it right. A good trick I’ve been following with more characters stuff, is to trace the profile of the back before you start bending it. And refer back to it often to track the amount of set. And more importantly, where the set is occurring. Those deflex spots are great at hiding set they are taking without a reference point.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2019, 07:59:28 am »
Guess I'm already on to plan B, I was cutting the second splice and lent sideways on the saw a little bit and split out a 4 " chunk off the end of the limb. Now the max draw will be about 24inches, perfect for me but 3" below my guy's draw...I'm going to keep working on plan A just for fun, but I'll be digging through my stash this afternoon,  will post some pics soon.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2019, 02:46:57 pm »
How's this fpr a Plan B ? Slighrly characterful yew stave 80 inches long, 3inch diameter at centre

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2019, 12:59:20 pm »
Got my sleeve on.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:04:06 pm by Stickhead »

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2019, 01:26:06 pm »
That’s looking good stickhead. Someone will be very lucky to get a takedown
Eric

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2019, 07:17:52 pm »
I am excited to see that takedown finished up.  It is looking good so far.

Offline M2A

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2019, 10:21:54 pm »
Lots cool looking projects going on! I always enjoy seeing bows with some character. Many of the wood types you guys are working on I don't have access to or have not tried yet.

I'll weigh my Osage on Wendsday then again on Friday before I determine if its ready to continue on.
But I do expect it to be just fine.

Since I cant just do nothing I roughed out a red elm this weekend. Hope to build an eastern woodland style with it. 62 ntn. Thought it would be good but after getting it to low brace I determined the  MC is not low enough, so its sitting next to the Osage.

So...today I grabbed a black locust stave cut maybe 2-3 years ago and has been in my living room for the past 2 months so I know its good to go. My wife is a real saint for not giving me a hard time about leaving staves scattered around the house:)  I had been saving it for a Cherokee style bow. However, I'm going dream big on this one. Going to try a Shawnee style with it. Its risky and my last attempt at this style didn't work but this piece is wider, longer, and I gained some good experience from the last try. So throw caution to the wind and see what happens on this one. 

In the pic below from left to right. Failed red elm attempt at a Shawnee bow(just an example to show the profile style). Black locust, and red elm.

Will see how far I get on this locust by the weekend to see if I keep going or get back to the Osage.

Mike
IMG_2576 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr